should I buy this sthil 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could walk into that saw for $350 around here. On the evil bay blown up that saw would bring $350. Gongrats, on the purchase, as stated earlier the big could just be a tune issue.

If I should start a new post someone let me know, but I am still having trouble with the saw bogging. At least I think I am.
I drained the bar oil and mix from the saw when I got it. I put in new oil and a can of 92 sthil 50:1 mix. I replaced the plug and fuel filter also. I also touched up the chain so it's razor sharp.

Here is what it does. It starts great, 1 or 2 pulls and it burps, flip switch and one pull starts it. Hot it starts first pull. The chain barely moves at idle which it should not do. It revs great without a load and comes back to idle fine. Today I started cutting up some oak 18-20" and it cuts great as long as I don't lean on it very hard. If I set the dogs and lean on it much it stalls. At one point it died on me but started back up with one pull. I don't have much experience with a saw this size so maybe I am expecting to much and pushing the saw to hard? I only ran it about 10 minutes because I didn't want to do any damage if it is out of tune and too lean. What do you guys think? It seems to cut really good, but I just feel like something is not quite right.

I haven't touched any of the settings. I am reading all I can find on tuning the 046 on here before I try tuning it. I have never tuned a saw before so am proceeding slowly and carefully. The saw shows 3/4 on the H and 1/4 on the L on the cover. I am assuming this is the base setting I should check for?

Those are the setting with the "limiters" installed. If you're not familiar with limiters you'll wanna read around and eliminate them. Once the limiters are out you adjust the carb to 1 turn out on both the H & L.... ah, hell there's a how to tune thread somewhere on here.

I've been reading about the tuning process on here quite a bit. I need to look and see if the limiters are still there. I bet they are. I am not asking how to tune the saw exactly. I am finding a lot of information on tuning on here. I just want to know if it sounds like a tuning issue causing the bogging and stalling, or if it's normal to be able to easily stall a saw this size cutting 16-18" logs.

When you get a chance, video it acting up and broadcast that baby out on youtube. It'll simplify trying to remote diagnose it. Bogging in the cut is generally caused by fuel starvation. Of which there are numerous potential causes.

Take a gander at this chart. Look at all the stuff related to low power at WOT. We start with adjusting the carb because it's quick and easy.
2 Cycle Troubleshooting.JPG

Thanks for the chart. Looking at that I am going to say it needs tuning since it has pretty good power at wot. I guess I could check the impulse line though. I am not going to be able to mess with the saw for a few days, but I will keep you posted. Never done the you tube thing but think i could figure it out. Thanks for the help everyone.

I got a chance to do a video of the saw bogging. I posted it in a separate thread since the bogging issue is separate from the, should I buy it issue. Thanks again everyone for your help.

-Chris

Back