should I get a simington?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I would like to start dabbling with square ground chain. Not as a regular thing out here, but when cutting clean wood, why not? I have been debating this for several years, and keep lookin' around.

I know they expensive... and should have gotten after it before Silvey shut the door.
Is the Simington workable? Could a novice like me eventually figure it all out?

Does anybody just happen to have something like this that they would part with?

Just asking a few questions here, thanks.

If you really have a use for square why not? Even if you don't have a use for square a lot of hobbyists run square as well. A lot cheaper to just learn how to file square but the simington will work for you. Go to simingtons website and watch Kelly's how to vids. It's just a simple swing arm unit.

Yep ! While you're at it ,pick up an assortment of the wheels ,and two multi- point dressers . It comes single point dressers . They work well ,but the multi - point ones put a better finish on the wheels .
Wow. I never used anything but single in grinding wheels.
Tell me more.

ah yes, the more information the better! I have been looking up various wheels, didn't know about the different dressers.
The salmon wheels for the finest, and the other ones to remove material faster without burning the tooth.

New they are 1200 if I remember right, Woods Logging in Longview has a used one in consignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ah yes, the more information the better! I have been looking up various wheels, didn't know about the different dressers.
The salmon wheels for the finest, and the other ones to remove material faster without burning the tooth.
I run a Salmon wheel on my pro sharp and like it, they're a few different salmon wheels I've noticed if I get then from Woods it's a little tougher then say the Madson one.

Ok thanks for the correction, haven't had to buy a grinder in a long time, what would shipping and tax run you?

$1000 is what I was seeing for new machine.
Just.... almost.... ready....
By the time that I get some extra wheels, and the afore mentioned dressers, yea, there would be another couple hundred in the project.

Then comes the learning curve on how to make a really sweet chain. :sweet:

:rock:
$1000 is what I was seeing for new machine.
Just.... almost.... ready....
By the time that I get some extra wheels, and the afore mentioned dressers, yea, there would be another couple hundred in the project.

Then comes the learning curve on how to make a really sweet chain. :sweet:

You skipped the part where you just finished shaping your new blue grinding wheel ( the almost $40 one ) take it off the machine to shape a different wheel ., Trip over one of you Labs ,and drop the wheel .:rock:

Back