Should tree be cut due to severe woodpecker damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay511

Reaction score
Hello, there's a tree on my property that has been severely damaged by a woodpecker. The part that was being chipped away snapped yesterday due to high winds. Should the tree be cut down? I've attached before and after photos. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7887.JPG
    IMG_7887.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8101.JPG
    IMG_8101.JPG
    700 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8105.JPG
    IMG_8105.JPG
    567.3 KB · Views: 59
Hello, there's a tree on my property that has been severely damaged by a woodpecker. The part that was being chipped away snapped yesterday due to high winds. Should the tree be cut down? I've attached before and after photos. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Yes like Grass said, peckers are just doing what they do, usually this means finding large carpenter ant nests inside hollowed out trees that were old or unhealthy.
It almost always means that the tree is dying and should be removed if it's in a area where it will be a risk to humans.
If it's out in the woods or way out in a field some, just let them peck away at it and have fun.
I like to set up a game camera to see what species of peckers visit.
We have about 8 species that regularly visit and live in our area.
The pics of those oblong holes look like the work of Pileated woodpecker(s) which are North America's largest woodpecker and a fantastic looking bird.

Yes like Grass said, peckers are just doing what they do, usually this means finding large carpenter ant nests inside hollowed out trees that were old or unhealthy.
It almost always means that the tree is dying and should be removed if it's in a area where it will be a risk to humans.
If it's out in the woods or way out in a field some, just let them peck away at it and have fun.
I like to set up a game camera to see what species of peckers visit.
We have about 8 species that regularly visit and live in our area.
The pics of those oblong holes look like the work of Pileated woodpecker(s) which are North America's largest woodpecker and a fantastic looking bird.

I had the tree cut down. Thanks for all all of your responses. I have video of the woodpecker pecking away. It was a fantastic looking bird.

Back