Show me your Rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red97

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok Now that I have your attention. I am looking for pictures of your Headache rack, truck rack anti smashed window device whatever you choose to call it. I would like to see some pictures.

Thank you
Joe

Excellent thread. I'm looking for ideas because I about smashed my back glass out Sunday night.
I built mine so I wouldn't smash my window, I got it built, then never got around to painting it or installing it for 4-5 months... wouldn't you know it while it was being painted I was loading up some firewood and a small piece maybe 2" diameter bounces up and hits the lower right corner...yup there goes the window:dumb:

NICE. I want to make one for my new truck. Mine will be out of 1.75x.120 tube just because I want to play with my bender.

Is that 3 piece?
yeah 3 pieces, "bed rails" and the headboard... 8 bolts each side hold the headboard to the rails and then the rails are bolted to the actual bed rails all 3/8 SS flat socket head cap screws

when I get around to repainting it, I'm going to cut the Cummins logo out of some plate and weld it into the screen, so it would look similar to the picture where you can see the decal on the window

Yep a corner shot will do it every time.

I made this one. Just some 1" heavy wall square tube bolted to the bedsides and above the bulkhead. I haul tool boxes in the back and they bow the bulkhead into the cab. Just got this truck so I made the brace to prevent that. On the first trip out this happens.

Guess I should have made it lower. :angry:

Yep a corner shot will do it every time.

I made this one. Just some 1" heavy wall square tube bolted to the bedsides and above the bulkhead. I haul tool boxes in the back and they bow the bulkhead into the cab. Just got this truck so I made the brace to prevent that. On the first trip out this happens.

Guess I should have made it lower. :angry:
my head board is 2-1/2" x .120 square, I wish I would of went with 3" or 3/16 wall instead, the rails are 1-1/2"x 3/16 welded to 3" x 2" x 1/4" angle and are plenty strong for strapping as all I use are 10,000 lb. 2" straps

I installed a BackRack after watching my wife bounce a round off the back window. If I was to haul inthe truck a lot, I would add screen to it.

As for the tiedowns, I have a batch of loops installed, but I am going to run a steel cable between both factory tiedowns.

Good idea for a thread. I don't have one yet..my welding skills would lead me to believe it would be a piece of plywood propped up. :(
No need for welding skills. I got my old ladder rack for next to nothing and the rest was scrap I had. Works great!

this is the one i built. hard to see in the pics but its just 1" square with expanded mesh

Winter 2011-12 015.jpg

Good idea for a thread. I don't have one yet..my welding skills would lead me to believe it would be a piece of plywood propped up. :(

A little practice goes a long way my friend.

Are those tires the good year duratrac? How do you like them? mud/snow/ice?
Yes they are the Goodyear duratrac. They are awesome times. 10 ply and excellent traction on ice and snow and I haven't been stuck in the woods with them yet. I'm sure the spider would just love them!

Attachments

• IMAG1444.jpg
    IMAG1444.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 25

For the average homeowner doing light work, even one of those cheap little 80 to 100 amp buzz boxes would serve the purpose. They can be had new for pretty cheap and are typically 120VAC plugin. While they ain't gonna weld 1/2" plate, they will weld up a headache rack easy enough! I've seen them on CL from time to time...welders are pretty straight forward, if the seller can plug it in, weld on all the settings; there's probably nothing wrong with it.

I did some trading, buying, selling and ended up with two boxes over the years, a Lincoln Blue AC/DC and a Craftsman AC/DC. In my travels, I found two 100 ft welding leads along the edge of the road...one in the middle of Baltimore and one in the middle of Kansas along Highway 53 (or is it 54? Been too many years.). Pays to scroung...I have very little wrapped up in either box.

Back