Show me your Rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the average homeowner doing light work, even one of those cheap little 80 to 100 amp buzz boxes would serve the purpose. They can be had new for pretty cheap and are typically 120VAC plugin. While they ain't gonna weld 1/2" plate, they will weld up a headache rack easy enough! I've seen them on CL from time to time...welders are pretty straight forward, if the seller can plug it in, weld on all the settings; there's probably nothing wrong with it.

I did some trading, buying, selling and ended up with two boxes over the years, a Lincoln Blue AC/DC and a Craftsman AC/DC. In my travels, I found two 100 ft welding leads along the edge of the road...one in the middle of Baltimore and one in the middle of Kansas along Highway 53 (or is it 54? Been too many years.). Pays to scroung...I have very little wrapped up in either box.

Oh, I have a welder here, one of those old big 220 volt lincoln jobs. I just suck at it. I've fixed some busted stuff here when I had to, but it ain't pretty and it only lasts 1/2 the time, then I have to try it again. I have gotten *marginally* better at it, but...I can work with wood OK.. HAHAHAHA

Oh, I have a welder here, one of those old big 220 volt lincoln jobs. I just suck at it. I've fixed some busted stuff here when I had to, but it ain't pretty and it only lasts 1/2 the time, then I have to try it again. I have gotten *marginally* better at it, but...I can work with wood OK.. HAHAHAHA
Choice of rod makes a difference too...plus practice. I've had no formal training, but I can lay a pretty decent weld. Almost all the welds on that trailer I'm redoing were put down by me. It hasn't fell apart yet...[emoji1]

A little practice goes a long way my friend.

I have somewhat. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, no idea what setting on the thing (need to scrounge a knob for it too, I use pliers to change the settings, all guess work) for what job/steel or what rods to use, etc. or how to go about it. I do know to grind clean and fit the pieces, that's about it. I have gotten marginally better with it, but that's it. I looked around for a local community college or high school adult education welding course, doesn't exist in my area.

I have somewhat. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, no idea what setting on the thing (need to scrounge a knob for it too, I use pliers to change the settings, all guess work) for what job/steel or what rods to use, etc. or how to go about it. I do know to grind clean and fit the pieces, that's about it. I have gotten marginally better with it, but that's it. I looked around for a local community college or high school adult education welding course, doesn't exist in my area.

I personally like 1/8" 7018 rod for 1/4 and under steel. Best thing to practice on would be some 1/8" plate steel find some 1/8"x4 bar stock and cut it into 4"x4" coupons and over lap the edge 1/2" or so and weld the seam. once you get that put the welded piece in a vice and fold it so it stresses the weld until it breaks.

Make sure the rod is clean and dry if it has been wet it becomes a major Pain.

If the weld breaks try again, if the weld tears the metal away pat yourself on the back.

Then you get to try vertical. with stick on a vertical weld start at the bottom and go up. It is hard to get the hang of.

biggest thing is to get a good helmet and learn the color difference between flux and weld.

Have fun.

Gotta compliment your woods buggy. Mean looking Ford you got there.
Thanks! That old beater gets more compliments than other trucks I've owned that cost 20X what that old Ford did! It's an 1989 F-350 that was originally a DNR fleet vehicle. Vinyl floors, manual lock windows and locks, original old am/fm radio, and nothing to break. Just the perfect wood hauler!

Thanks! That old beater gets more compliments than other trucks I've owned that cost 20X what that old Ford did! It's an 1989 F-350 that was originally a DNR fleet vehicle. Vinyl floors, manual lock windows and locks, original old am/fm radio, and nothing to break. Just the perfect wood hauler!
Always liked that generation F series. Much nicer looking than any of the new Fords. I'm a Chevy man myself, but I have a 91' 2WD Ranger for my work truck and I love it.

12 gauge (.104") steel, formed channel frame. I built it when I worked in a smaller shop where I had more freedom for "government projects". This is a 3 year old pic, it's still doing it's job. I used to have a build thread, but the pics are gone now...

I'm gonna build a lighter duty drop in rack for the new not-usually-a-woodhauler-yet truck, more to keep ATV bumpers, etc. away from the back window, but suitable for occasional firewood use as well.

2 kinds of woodhaulers in this world, those with broken glass behind the seat, and those with a headache rack. If you're gonna argue that, you ain't hauled enough wood yet.

rare sight.JPG

12 gauge (.104") steel, formed channel frame. I built it when I worked in a smaller shop where I had more freedom for "government projects". This is a 3 year old pic, it's still doing it's job. I used to have a build thread, but the pics are gone now...

I'm gonna build a lighter duty drop in rack for the new not-usually-a-woodhauler-yet truck, more to keep ATV bumpers, etc. away from the back window, but suitable for occasional firewood use as well.

2 kinds of woodhaulers in this world, those with broken glass behind the seat, and those with a headache rack. If you're gonna argue that, you ain't hauled enough wood yet.

View attachment 387381
You are right about that! I have been telling my brother that he needs one on his chevy Duramax. Sure enough he breaks his rear window the other day while loading up some firewood. I'm sure he wouldn't have told me to avoid the mockery but I'm his insurance agent! :laugh:

View attachment 387381

That is Nice. I have thumped the window many time's that is why I am thinking about a rack.

Thanks for the pic.

Or you could put a plexiglass window in the back of your truck. My '86 Chevy has that, and it holds up to logs bouncing off of it pretty well.

Too ghetto. Plus, it involves taking out a perfectly good window. If you already did that the noisy way, see above :D

Actually, I bought it that way. The truck was owned by a glass shop before I bought it, and they put it in. You would never know it, either, by looking at it, it looks just like glass until you bump it.

Latest posts

Back