Sick Red Oak Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary H

Reaction score
One of my two red oak trees in the back yard has places where sap is oozing out and all kinds of yellow jackets, red wasps, moths and ladybugs hanging out in it. The leaves are also a lighter green than the other red oak and has some browning on the edge of most of the leaves. The tree is about 12 years old and have never seen this before. I have poked a bunch of holes around it about 16 inches deep for root watering and put 3 fertilizer stakes around it. Any advice on what might be causing this and if I can do anything else? I live in the Fort Worth area if that helps any.

Is that part of a building foundation that the dog is tied to? If so that tree is WAY too close to the foundation first of all.
Red Oaks can become huge trees. We have some near me over 150 years old and some of the largest trees in our Boreal forest here.
Typically I would either move it to a safe distance at least 60 feet from and building or structure or overhead wires or cut it down and replace with small shrub tree like a chokecherry or crab apple.
As for the sap, may just be a small Sapsucker that's made his holes for eating his supper from.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back