Side dishes or veggies..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I love taters and onions, simple, easy and hard to mess up unless you burn them.
When I camped out a lot I always brought a bag of taters and onions and some butter.
Set 2 small logs just apart enough to set a cast iron pan on them w the ends stuck in the edge of the fire.
rake some coals into the slot between the logs, set the pan down and toss in a half stick of butter.
add thinnish sliced taters and onions, salt and pepper and cook stirring about every 5 minutes till browned and somewhat soft. It smells delightful while cooking and is delicious.
We also often fried bacon in the skillet and cooked the mess in the bacon grease...........YUM

I make a dish of them in the oven now and then
Slice 2/4 baking taters into 1/8-1/4" coins
slice 2/4 onions in coins same thickness.
oil a glass baking dish/caserole w evoo
toss the taters w more evoo and chopped garlic,salt,pepper in a large bowl and lay the rounded tips of the taters at one end of the dish. Then and lay a row of tatter coins against them, tilted about 45*
lay coins of onion/tatter/onions and repeat to fill the dish full of the tilted tater/onion stack.
sprinkle more chopped garlic on top and bake @ 350 till brown on the bottom and tatters are soft about 45 mins.
served w some sour cream or just by itself, it's worth the time it takes to assemble.

I love taters and onions, simple, easy and hard to mess up unless you burn them.
When I camped out a lot I always brought a bag of taters and onions and some butter.
Set 2 small logs just apart enough to set a cast iron pan on them w the ends stuck in the edge of the fire.
rake some coals into the slot between the logs, set the pan down and toss in a half stick of butter.
add thinnish sliced taters and onions, salt and pepper and cook stirring about every 5 minutes till browned and somewhat soft. It smells delightful while cooking and delicious.
We also often fried bacon in the skillet and cooked the mess in the bacon grease...........YUM

toss the taters w more evoo and chopped garlic,salt,pepper in a large bowl and lay the rounded tips of the taters at one end of the dish. Then and lay a row of tatter coins against them, tilted about 45*
lay coins of onion/tatter/onions and repeat to fill the dish full of the tilted tater/onion stack.
sprinkle more chopped garlic on top and bake @ 350 till brown on the bottom and tatters are soft about 45 mins.
served w some sour cream or just by itself it's worth the time it takes to assemble.
I do that very same thing but use butter instead and sprinkle a package of onion soup mix over the top. Great with fried or grilled fish.

add thinnish sliced taters and onions, salt and pepper and cook stirring about every 5 minutes till browned and somewhat soft. It smells delightful while cooking and is delicious.

served w some sour cream or just by itself, it's worth the time it takes to assemble.

good thread topic! glad u started it.

>It smells delightful while cooking and is delicious

everything seems to smell so delightful and tastes so extra good! when cooking outdoors, especially over an open fire in a cast iron pan. I am not just too sure what it is, but in line with this thinking I am pretty sure everything I prepare in the country at the farm... tastes better. even if it's what I brought with me from city life. ;)

my side tonite was some spuds I had baked outdoors in Brutus, my outdoor fireplace... and I fried them along with a grilled steak... side of refried spuds tasted good. but then I was hungry from a long day til past dark-thirty on yard chores. but for next few days, my place will shine well in the neighborhood... well other than the cord of unsplit oak in front drive... :laughing: ;)

ribeye steak dinner for 2; refried out-of-doors campfire baked spuds, salad, too.

P2050012.JPG

tonite's dinner was rather special... absolutely delicious! had a sid with it, beans I put up last summer.

Blue Lake Bush Beans... glad I did, they sure are tasty once cooked... look a lil dull in the butter shot, but weren't. must be camera and light...

:heart: Valentines Day! :heart: Dinner Menu w/side...

loaded baked potato, lamb chops, ribeye, and fresh frozen garden buttered beans... scrumptious!

ps: that is not a dinner plate!, serving platter... :yes:

P2140005.JPG
P2140008.JPG
P2140010.JPG
P2140011.JPG

tonite's dinner was rather special... absolutely delicious! had a sid with it, beans I put up last summer.

Blue Lake Bush Beans... glad I did, they sure are tasty once cooked... look a lil dull in the butter shot, but weren't. must be camera and light...

:heart: Valentines Day! :heart: Dinner Menu w/side...

loaded baked potato, lamb chops, ribeye, and fresh frozen garden buttered beans... scrumptious!

ps: that is not a dinner plate!, serving platter... :yes:

View attachment 486150 View attachment 486151 View attachment 486152 View attachment 486153

I used to grow some BLBBeans at our last abode. I was a amazed at how fast/lush they grew and produced buckets of beans almost everyday. They also have a wonderful flavor.

I used to grow some BLBBeans at our last abode. I was a amazed at how fast/lush they grew and produced buckets of beans almost everyday. They also have a wonderful flavor.

right on! lol... buckets! sometimes, too many. that did work out ok as I got to put a lot up. freeze vs canned... now glad I have them to enjoy. I really do like them fresh frozen.

This is making me hungry, going to go get me a bowl of home made vegetable soup now and watch the pesky snow come down yet again!

This is making me hungry, going to go get me a bowl of home made vegetable soup now and watch the pesky snow come down yet again!

sounds cold! :cold: I remember some very cold mornings in Va.... Quantico to be exact! OCS. never forget the morning we were all kicked out of our toasty warm sleeping bags while out on a training mission... think it was about 11F that morning... 5 am. and to add insult to injury.... we had to shave!

"but Platoon Sargent... surely you jest!! ?"

trust me, he wasn't!... and also wasn't joking there was no hot water, nither! ~

Much to cold for me and my half crippled joints. and way to much snow!
sounds cold! :cold: I remember some very cold mornings in Va.... Quantico to be exact! OCS. never forget the morning we were all kicked out of our toasty warm sleeping bags while out on a training mission... think it was about 11F that morning... 5 am. and to add insult to injury.... we had to shave!

"but Platoon Sargent... surely you jest!! ?"

trust me, he wasn't!... and also wasn't joking there was no hot water, nither! ~

Had a bin of spinach that was set to expire very soon so I figured I had better eat it up.

Sauteed it with butter then added some dehydrated onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Then I threw in a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese and stirred it in until it was mixed well. Was quite tasty and took all of ten minutes from start to finish.

Had a bin of spinach that was set to expire very soon so I figured I had better eat it up.

Sauteed it with butter then added some dehydrated onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Then I threw in a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese and stirred it in until it was mixed well. Was quite tasty and took all of ten minutes from start to finish.

sounds good!

Ya'll got to try this..............
Glory Collard Greens are the best thing next to home made and need no seasoning at all.

http://www.gloryfoods.com/products/seasoned-southern-greens-and-spinach/seasoned-collard-greens/

tonight I broke a re-heated, leftover custom cornbread muffin from last night into a big bowl of these collards and it was way beyond good.

I made the muffins w 1 box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix

1/4 cup sour cream

about 1/2 cup shredded mixed sharp/medium cheddar cheese

2 eggs

about 1/4 cup of Bisquick cause the batter was too wet

4 shakes each of Lemon pepper, chef Paul Prudommes "blackened steak" seasoning ( with the fennel seeds sifted out) and Tony Chachere's "Spice and Herbs" seasoning,

combined and spooned about 3/4 full into a large 6 muffin pan greased w Pam, let them rise for 10-15 mins.

baked for 20 mins. or so @ 425. They are about as moist as cake in the center and broken/stirred into the bowl the pieces soak up and thicken the potlikker in the collards to make a meal in a bowl that satisfies and seems like eating meat.

Back