Silver Maple Root System

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denisereneec

Reaction score
Hello

I have two silver maple trees in my 100x120 foot yard. The one that concerns me is about 30 feet from my house. The land slopes down hill towards the house. Over the last 4 or so years the roots have surfaced the ground and are heading towards the house. Do I need to be concerned? Could the roots become invasive to my basement/foundation? I love the tree...it's beautiful and provides much needed shade but I am worried that it may be too big and too close to my home and cause damage down the road.

Can someone give me some advice on silver maples and their growing habits.

Thank you :)

Denise

Hello

I have two silver maple trees in my 100x120 foot yard. The one that concerns me is about 30 feet from my house. The land slopes down hill towards the house. Over the last 4 or so years the roots have surfaced the ground and are heading towards the house. Do I need to be concerned? Could the roots become invasive to my basement/foundation? I love the tree...it's beautiful and provides much needed shade but I am worried that it may be too big and too close to my home and cause damage down the road.

Can someone give me some advice on silver maples and their growing habits.

Thank you :)

Denise

I have a large (3' DBH) red maple about 40' from my house with a similar situation of several large surface roots. But so far they have only lifted a portion of sidewalk within 10' of the tree.
I also cut one down out back that had a lateral root about 18' in diameter which followed around a shed floor I had poured. See pic.

That being said the silver maple root system seems to be reported as being more invasive.

The silver maple tree root system is one of the most intrusive of all the maple tree root systems. The silver maple tree root system is large and has very strong roots. They will easily grow up and raise cement sidewalks and porches. Planted near a house, the silver maple tree root system has even been known to break through a basement wall and cause significant structural damage. In order to prevent this, pruning of the silver maple leaf root system must be done, and not taken lightly.
from Maple Tree Root System

Back