• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Silvey HDG-6 raker grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get flamed for converting Ruger Maximums.......they are a tool.

I may try to convert a grinder for rakers.

i had a 511 i shouldn't have sold. it was pretty sweet for rakers but not as sweet as an HDG. to be honest, i am starting to not bring a grinder to camp. just grind a **** ton of chains and bring them in a tote. everyone has a grinder in camp and the grinder room is to crowded so i'll do it at home while i drink beer lol

I get flamed for converting Ruger Maximums.......they are a tool.

I may try to convert a grinder for rakers.
I just run mine through the grinder.
Set the first one by hand and go.
The chain in the picture was not one I had done, just one I had laying around and threw on for the picture. I'm sure you guys would flame me for my chains, but I'm still learning. One of my goals for the yr was to learn more about sharpe ning/chains in general, I've learned a lot.
20160918_161727.jpg

I just run mine through the grinder.
Set the first one by hand and go.
The chain in the picture was not one I had done, just one I had laying around and threw on for the picture. I'm sure you guys would flame me for my chains, but I'm still learning. One of my goals for the yr was to learn more about sharpe ning/chains in general, I've learned a lot.
View attachment 530961
Are the rakers uniform like that?
Just be careful and do it by feel?
Wheel centered?

Are the rakers uniform like that?
Just be careful and do it by feel?
Yes, checked them with a standard raker tool as well as a feeler guage on them and a piece of flat stock between the teeth.
I've seen guys also dress the wheel so the shape of the depth guage is more like it comes from the factory.

after they are set it's all just lowering the grinder head. literally 30 seconds longer per chain. ii've been looking for an HDG so long i think i may just get another 511 in the mean time.

as much as i'd like to stay up, the woman is whining from the bedroom for me to go there lol last night here before i go back to camp. i better go? lol later!

i currently do raker by hand and it really doesn't take that long either. maybe 2 min longer then an HDG spread out among 10 chains
I have never been taught by anyone other than videos/AS so I really don't have a clue on the finer aspects of chain maintenance. Although I have picked up a good bit in the last few years as I don't buy a new chain when they get dull any more ;).
Here's my setup.
Depth guages on the left, then the hydraulic for 3/8, and the small one for .325.1457809369480.jpg
They are all mounted on a small piece of 2x4 so they can be removed if I want to work on a saw. 1457810110786.jpg
12 volt grinder for the damaged drive links and a deep cell battery always on a trickle chager to run the grinder. Tools don't go there, but I was cleaning when I took the picture :).1457810782501.jpg

Latest posts

Back