Skidding winch for the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been searching off and on for something to help get the wood off the property I can cut on. I ran across an Elkem Formek model 4500 on Craigslist, listed in the northeast somewhere. The only thing I have found so far is that it is probably a Norse winch. It isn't represented as new or perfect, but I don't want to make an offer or buy it if I can't find parts. Does anybody have any information that could help me out.

Shea

I have been searching off and on for something to help get the wood off the property I can cut on. I ran across an Elkem Formek model 4500 on Craigslist, listed in the northeast somewhere. The only thing I have found so far is that it is probably a Norse winch. It isn't represented as new or perfect, but I don't want to make an offer or buy it if I can't find parts. Does anybody have any information that could help me out.

Shea
I have a Norse 400, great unit. As for parts there isn't a part on it that can't be sourced from another supplier or made.
If it is in good shape and good price get it quick as these winches don't show up used very often.

no...I live about 40 miles away...I just work close to there...

Just wondering if you had the inside track to getting a brother-in-law type of deal. How much of a snow pack do you guys have left after last weeks storm? See, another use. Assisting my truck out of the driveway ditch that has become a hazard with the snow we still have on the ground.

Shea

Just wondering if you had the inside track to getting a brother-in-law type of deal. How much of a snow pack do you guys have left after last weeks storm? See, another use. Assisting my truck out of the driveway ditch that has become a hazard with the snow we still have on the ground.

Shea
there aint no snow around here...I think Boston has/had a couple inches...the storm stayed to the south of MA for the most part, I live on the NH boarder, Ayer is also on the boarder...just further east then where I live...I didn't see a single snowflake from that blizzard

We still have 4-6" in the yard......the downside to living on the north side of a mountain during the winter. I hope to get in touch with the owner this week and see if I can get more details and pictures. I might try to beg someone up there to put eyes on it if it gets that point.

Shea

Check wear on sprocket wheels. If it's used hard check for cracks and deformations in the frame. If you buy it check the bearings holding the winch drum. And think how much a new on cost vs buying used and the wear there is on it.

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

Check wear on sprocket wheels. If it's used hard check for cracks and deformations in the frame. If you buy it check the bearings holding the winch drum. And think how much a new on cost vs buying used and the wear there is on it.

Thanks for the tips. I've noticed some of your replies in other threads about logging winches. Do you know anything about the Elkem Formek winches and how they stack up compared to others. This one looks solid without any visible damage, but it looks like it sat outside it's whole life too. I can't find anything close in price to this one (asking $1600). I would hope that bearings and such wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

Shea

I have one, they started as Sandvik and then Elkem bought them and then Igland took over under the Igland/Norse brand.
Its a very solid product, the reason im talking about bearings are the fact that they are old and if they give up the wear will be on the main shaft.
Std metric bearings so they cost very little.

The construction will be very like this:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-logging-winch-repair-project.259403/

My Sandvik/Elkem/Norse 3081

2abyqudu.jpg

Thanks for the information. It's nice that you saw the pictures, I wouldn't know if that looked decent or not, I don't have anything to reference it to. I appreciate the help a lot.

Shea

Because you have a good working knowledge, what is the smallest, power wise, tractor you could use this on?

Think ground clerance are more an issue than hp on small tractors.

It will pull has hard as it can with the hp that are available, how many hp have you?

Approximately 35pto. It is 4wd with a fel and loaded tires. I don't need to pull monsters, but it would be easier to pull out of some of these deep gulleys loaded with great wood. Cutting the wood to a good size/weight wouldn't be an issue. If I can get some pictures of where I cut I'll post them this weekend.

Shea

35 hp will be enough for that winch. I'm using a tractor with 28-30 hp on a similar winch.
Watch the front end when winching, light tractors will do wheelies when pulling hard. For safety reasons, use a rope to engage the clutch and stand back.

Back