Skidding winch for the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0413161842a.jpg
Standing oak, alive but rot had set in through the base. Landowner gave permission to cut it down. So far, most of this wood wouldn't have been cut without the winch. It has been priceless to get the wood to a convenient spot to start the processing.

@farmer steve , have you looked at the winch you mentioned? I promise, just as I was told, these things are valuable beyond their cost.

Shea

For the purpose of scale the saw is a 440 MAGNUM w/24" bar....yes MAGNUM!!!

View attachment 498189
Standing oak, alive but rot had set in through the base. Landowner gave permission to cut it down. So far, most of this wood wouldn't have been cut without the winch. It has been priceless to get the wood to a convenient spot to start the processing.

@farmer steve , have you looked at the winch you mentioned? I promise, just as I was told, these things are valuable beyond their cost.

Shea

For the purpose of scale the saw is a 440 MAGNUM w/24" bar....yes MAGNUM!!!

hi Shea. never got to look at it but it is sthil there. just have to make time. i know i "need" a winch". getting tired of draggin with chains and not being able to get that wood thats just outta reach. love that dead standing oak.:rock2:

hi Shea. never got to look at it but it is sthil there. just have to make time. i know i "need" a winch". getting tired of draggin with chains and not being able to get that wood thats just outta reach. love that dead standing oak.:rock2:
You for sure "need" it:).
Snob wood lol.

I'm getting lazy. Very little hopping on and off to hook up chains in the future I hope. Might mount a small winch on it for the ones that are a little far for the chain. Very few hills where I cut so I can usually back right up to them.
View attachment 498206

That sure ain't a winch, but when you can back right up to it, that is all you would need. What size bolts did you use for the pivot points on the jaws? I like it a lot. Where I hope to cut next that would be handy.

Shea

Morewood, the pins on the jaws are just 1" cold rolled steel. I'll see how they wear and if a problem I will have the guy would plasma cut the jaws turn me some up out of something better. I just used a 5/8" bolt for the chain connection and after only a couple hours of playing around it is already worn pretty good. Will try a grade 8 next. My brother in law has a winch and loved using it where he was cutting, steep hill. I do most of my cutting on pretty flat ground so this should work better for me. Your land there is definitely different that the bush here.

I skidded out some BIG logs yesterday, here's two of them.

I skidded this beech without cutting the logs out of it, It was all a son of a beech to get out too!!! I had to snatch block/double line it to get it up out of a deep ravine/soft spot...

standard.jpg

Here's the top to it,

standard.jpg

This one was a bit easier to get/skid, so I did cut the logs out, 17 footers,

standard.jpg

SR

Anyway, once out of the woods, I got everything loaded, here's the front wagon load,

standard.jpg

and with three big logs on the back running gear, I knew I'd never be able to pull either one up "sugar sand hill, so I left them hooked together, and winched the loads up the hill,

standard.jpg

And snaked through the woods on out to the road,

standard.jpg

SR

Those are some nice loads, respectively. On Saturday I assumed I was done cutting trees and was widening the path to get to where I had cut up all the logs I had pulled. That wasn't as easy as I hoped. As I was trimming and cutting some small stuff down I looked up in the canopy and guess what......dead trees are easier to spot. Four oaks of various size up to approx. 20" beautifully dead and ready to come down. This week I'll go in and get them down, pull them to a flat spot and cut away, pics will follow. This is killing my timeline to get back closer to the house, but easy wood is easy wood. Did I mention just down the road from there a sign has been put up "free wood". You gotta love this.

Shea

Back