Sleeping platforms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
I saw the $500 tree tent in the Sherrill rec climbing catalogue. It looks really nice. When I searched the 'net for other companies selling sleeping platforms for trees or rock walls or whatever, I couldn't find any. What do the rock climbers call these things? Do any other companies make tree sleeping platforms? Has anyone built their own?

Search on 'portaledge' and 'treeboat'

The Fish Econoledge is about the best deal going right now.

Cots and chaise lounges are the original PLs. Cheap, heavy and bulky. For climbs close to the car, the cheapies have great value.

Check out the PL from Vertical Pro:

http://www.verticalpro.net/

I'm toying with making one out of plywood and webbing. It would be really trick to find some composite sheeting that could be used.

There are some pretty inovative products on that site Tom. Do you have any experience with the block or ascender?

I've used one version of the block. there's a newer version somewhere in the prototype stages.

The ascender is still in prototype. The unit that I've seen is a pretty good innovation.

The FOS is the only lowering device I use. Nice tool! ISC is making them now in Wales.

Hmmm...wonder where the tree sitting huggers get theirs? Next time we fall "Butterfly" or TreeArrow" out of a protest on a timber sale I'll ask em'. Oh wait...the FBI picked up TreeArrow for burning a few log trucks. "Butterfly" might be around still. Now, how come these protesters can "camp" in trees for a year(or more) and I can't stay in a campground for more than fourteen days(legally)?

jp hallman said:
Hmmm...wonder where the tree sitting huggers get theirs? Next time we fall "Butterfly" or TreeArrow" out of a protest on a timber sale I'll ask em'. Oh wait...the FBI picked up TreeArrow for burning a few log trucks. "Butterfly" might be around still. Now, how come these protesters can "camp" in trees for a year(or more) and I can't stay in a campground for more than fourteen days(legally)?
Good one JP, remember that "gypsy" Chaim guy that got squished by a big redwood a few years ago?, him and his buddies were running around protesting in an active block, morons. Instead they idolize this guy, they should make a statue to stupidity. Tre-arrow was caught right here in Victoria BC, shoplifting boltcutters, wonder what he was going to do with them? He wanted a vegetarian diet at the jail, went on a hunger strike....I think he got deported. They are camping out in trees up here as well, we only have a hundred trees left, its terrible.

Ol' friend, I'm glad you recognized tre-arrows name. I called him "tree" just to see who might have heard of the fool. He sat on the 11th story ledge of the FS building in Portland protesting once. I think the same idiot fell out of a Cedar tree here and spent time in the hospital(at taxpayer expense) while the logging show went on. His lil' friend Gerlach was arrested recently for toppling a high-voltage tower in the local area. The tower was sabotaged a few years ago. Thanks to "spying on Americans" the eco-terrorists were caught.

lets be clear that recreational tree climbing and tree protests are very different things. we're talking about creating a place in a tree to relax for the afternoon or to camp overnight, and your talking about living in a tree for long periods of time illegally to stop cutting.

Sure Sizz, we understand. However, the protesters are very well funded and you should be able to capitilize on their investment. Might be some good stuff there!

Sizzle-Chest said:
lets be clear that recreational tree climbing and tree protests are very different things. we're talking about creating a place in a tree to relax for the afternoon or to camp overnight, and your talking about living in a tree for long periods of time illegally to stop cutting.
OK, I know, but you rec. tree climbers could be helping people like Tre-arrow and his kind out, like the flight schools helped those "pilots'" fly those planes, funny how they never wanted to learn how to land. These guys get so much sympathy it is just sickening, while the loggers are treated like seal clubbers, sad.

Sizz?...you one of those commie pinkos trying to ruin our good way of life?
No, just razzin' you. I've seen about all I want to see of tree "campers".

clearance said:
OK, I know, but you rec. tree climbers could be helping people like Tre-arrow and his kind out, like the flight schools helped those "pilots'" fly those planes.

yes, your comparisons and logic are flawless. undoubtedly we should halt all sales of arborist equipment, such as ropes and harnesses until the tree protester threat has been eliminated. . .

Sizzle-Chest said:
yes, your comparisons and logic are flawless. undoubtedly we should halt all sales of arborist equipment, such as ropes and harnesses until the tree protester threat has been eliminated. . .
Just having fun, but if some hippy looking guy wearing sandals and a reggae hat with girlfriend that has hair under her arms comes over to your jobsite, DO NOT show them how to climb. How was it these freaks got up those big trees, someone showed em, thats how, probably the best way to learn would be to pretend to be a "rec. climber".

Oh...Sizz, brush your teeth and wear a hat dude. Brushing a few times a day couldn't hurt. In fact, don't worry about the hat. But you should scrub them buckies. That is you in your avatar...isn't it? OK, just razzin' ya' again.

jp, your just jealous of my rugged good looks, loggers dream of having such a chiseled physique. speaking of loggers, did you make it over here for the oregon logging conference?

Missed the show for the first time in years. Always had a good time there, including the "sawdust bowl". Just got busy this year and it was over before I could make it. Ya' know...some of the loggers I hang out with would be happy with more than just a couple of teeth. So, what has forty eyes and ten teeth?
Front row at a Willie Nelson concert!

clearance said:
Just having fun, but if some hippy looking guy wearing sandals and a reggae hat with girlfriend that has hair under her arms comes over to your jobsite, DO NOT show them how to climb. How was it these freaks got up those big trees, someone showed em, thats how, probably the best way to learn would be to pretend to be a "rec. climber".

This is the problem with logger/arborists masquerading as rec climbers. You need to be re-edumacated! When you show up for a req climb you can leave your chaps, spurs, sh*t-kicking boots, steelcore, misc. excessive heavy cutting gear and bull rope behind. Put on a rasta bonnet, a bright tie-died t-shirt, sandals and yes even love beads and mellow out dude! Live a little! Take your time, climb the tree, enjoy the breeze, take a nap in the canopy, ya know, the good stuff in life! I'm going to have to start up a special rec climbing school for tough as nails arborists, loggers and former line clearance experts. It will be a tree hippy boot camp, you'll be forced to laze around in trees all day and eat tofu dogs, well there might be some grilled fish and corn on the cob, don't want to punish you too much. Ok forget the tofu dogs, I never eat those things. Anyway you get the drift. I'm accepting advanced reservations.
-moss

Hmmm...maybe the dumping should go to Jeff Jepson for writing The Tree Climbers Companion, how about onto the rope manufacturers and gear vendors for selling those dirtballs the gear. :hmm3grin2orange: Those devils :angry: at the US Forest Service go and put up the directions right on the Web so that ANYONE can learn how to climb trees...http://www.fs.fed.us/treeclimbing/ Sheesh! And all along I thought that they were supporting the treeguys...what about the treegals? :greenchainsaw:

Funny thing happened when we fell out of the trees:monkey:
Took a look around and straightend our knees

***Colin Leyden

Look...it only took until the fifth post to derail the thread!

By the way... who said, "…the one thing I would ask is that people participating identify thier background and authorized experience in regards to utility work, in other words cards on the table about relevant knowledge."

What does tree sitting and logging protests have to do with a portaledge? I'm missing the connection...

Back