Slow start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
To all the firewood sellers out there, has it been a slow start for you? I've moved 45 cords in the last 7 weeks but that's much slower than the last few years. My prices are the same as last year and the quality hasn't changed either. What I'm finding is many people still have wood left over from last year since it was so warm and it's been a warm fall. Last week we had 4 days of 80 plus. This weekend was chilly and we have a few days of below average temps forecasted for this week. Hopefully that gets people in the firewood mindset.
I got used to selling all of my 100 plus cords before it actually got cold out and I'm hoping that trend continues.

other then one good score on sales the regular clients have been slow on calling this year! one of the clients switched over to nat. gas, but has a rental next door that still heats with wood in a smoke dragon which takes a cord every 10 days or so when the cold sets in? Thursday will be the first cord of wood to them this year for a start... the count should be 20 or so from the reg's at this time "usually" .... wood dries and cold don't wait forever! just hold on as winter is coming!

I don't sell much but so far this year it's all been firewood for camp sites that are enjoying the last of the warm weather. I expect to sell some heating wood soon. Got a pile back in the field that has to go before snow because there will be no access to it when it gets muddy.

I know you'll sell out. You wouldn't have pushed yourself so hard to get the quality/quantity you have if your experience didn't tell you that it would sell! Have a cocktail, rest up as you will be delivering your ass off soon enough!

This time last year we were burning 24/7. Relatively mild winter but we started early.

No one thinks about it till it gets cold. I keep putting off stocking the racks by the house because we don't need it yet.

Yeah no worries on selling out. I just got used to doing it early

Busier than ever here. Been non stop since late July. Lows around 5* here, highs in the teens-twenties. I'm about 50 cords backlogged.

I have noticed the small stacks of wood by the for sale lately. Advertising like 8 splits " 25$"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, it has been a slow start. The summer and early fall have been incredibly damp and warm here. There were also fewer patio fires going. Camping season was also slow and that put a dent in my bundle sales.

Worse yet, it has been a lousy drying season thanks to high humidity and rainfall. The rounds have lichens and mushrooms growing all over them. It reminds me of Louisiana weather. Not much you can do about it.

Not much movement with sellers around here neither. We've had a few chilly nights, Just been too hot highs in the 70s and 80s lows mid 50s. But of course our cold months are usually January through march. Hoping for a real winter this yr. , time will tell.

Weather hasn't changed a whole lot - going to be close to 80 today but normal temps are to return tomorrow - but sales have picked up. I'm guessing the changing/falling leaves got people thinking firewood. Have orders for 12.5 cords so far for the weekend, 9 of those on Saturday so I can still add more for Sunday, hopefully.

my sales are slow here too due to the warm weather we have been having. this past tuesday i was at the local produce/hay/firewood auction. must have been 10-15 loads of firewood in various amounts. a lot of sellers did a no sale on their loads due to low bids.all the sellers i talked to said they are slow too. i think some of the sellers needed the money and sold. i bought this load of dry ash for $52. needed split but not a big deal.

Attachments

• 20161101_104528_resized.jpg
    20161101_104528_resized.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 25
hunting season starts Saturday and just finished up my biggest sales so far this heating season... 30 cords to 1 client over 11 working days besides a few stragglers buying.. hard to split and stack/pile for future sales when busy ! oh well!! deer comes first for the next 10 days!! with a freezer full of meat , the work list might get a new lease for sales?? bring on the ice and snow wanna try out the new sled on 10" of powder.... happy hunting!

Back