small bandsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, my name is James. I would like to build a mill and have been checking some out recently.How can I get a set of plans from you Gene, and what is required?

thanks, James

Mill vertical guides

What are the bolts ( adjustments ) on the verical guides that move up and down for ?
Are they used to adjust the angle of attack of the blade into the log or just to take up slop ?

blade adjustment

What are the bolts ( adjustments ) on the verical guides that move up and down for ?
Are they used to adjust the angle of attack of the blade into the log or just to take up slop ?

The oporator side bolt is to adjust the attack angle of the blade, the other side is to take up slack.
They can both do the same thing but the adjusting bolt is 1/2 x 20 thread the other is 13 thread.
Gene

Thank you
i am working on a mill now and have used a lot of your ideas .
I went to a 12 inch wheel making the tire dia . 20.5 inch .
We are planning on a 28 inch distance between the tires and a 49 inch distance from axle to axle .
I know this was designed for 18 inch with 8 inch rims but we want to cut 32 inch logs .
I am going with 4 post system and made the bed out of 3 x 6 tube 3/16 wall .
Any input would be welcome .

Hello

Gene has a neat looking design on his sawmill.
I am planning to build my own bandsawmill this summer.
At the moment am I drawing it up in solidworks and looking for plans of Genes design.

//Robert

View attachment 296625

pecker pole mill

My Mill painted

Attachments

• 2013-09-16_17-33-26_882.jpg
    2013-09-16_17-33-26_882.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 2013-09-16_17-51-26_989.jpg
    2013-09-16_17-51-26_989.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 348
  • 2013-09-16_17-34-11_895.jpg
    2013-09-16_17-34-11_895.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 2013-09-16_17-20-54_491.jpg
    2013-09-16_17-20-54_491.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 359
small mill

Nelson your little mill looks great, especily the band guard, If I build another one I would like to copy it.
Gene[/quote Hello: Gene I want to thank you and part time for your kind words, I would have responded sooner,however the form got hacked,and I got side tracked. I am very pleased with the mill, it work well right from the start and required very little adjustment, I am sure this is due to carefully following your instructions [ build it Gene's way ] I had most of the steel and engine so, I only have about $ 500. in the mill, it took me about 40 hours to build it. Gene builds it in 20 hours, the guard I built uses gene simple mounting system, same guard a little more steel. Gene, thank so much Jim Nelson

Hi, I see no date on the above posts, don't know how active they are.

I'm working on a mill now, wouldn't mind being able to see more of the bandmill shafts and their attachments.

I have 19" pulleys for band wheels, shafts and pillow blocks and an 18hp kohler engine.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/posts/4226536/ Hello: Richard My mill is built with trailer hubs welded to a hinge and runs small trailer tires. Your mill will be much more like a linn sawmill check out the link above, if your not to far along you should buy plans from linn lumber. Many mills have been built from these plans and the builders give it good reviews, just google linn lumber. Jim

pecker pole mill

My Mill painted
Awesome mill. I am looking at building one. I was wondering if I could get some plans on how to build it. I like how compact and simple it is. Are you pleased with its performance? Are you looking to improve anything on it. Thank for sharing the great pictures.

Dale

Awesome mill. I am looking at building one. I was wondering if I could get some plans on how to build it. I like how compact and simple it is. Are you pleased with its performance? Are you looking to improve anything on it. Thank for sharing the great pictures.

Dale
Dale I'm looking for ways to improve my mills, but in order to sell them I must keep the price competive,
the performance is directly related with engine size.

I have a portable hydraulic gas powered system. I am hoping to add a hydraulic motor to the band saw mill so I can keep it light and add hydraulics to for other application of the band saw mill. I have lots of large oak trees on my land that I want to select cut to make boards. Some are over 30 inches in dia. and I want to bring the mill to the tree. We also have lots of pine trees dying on our land and want to select cut them out before the wood get bad. Thanks for all your help and nice job on your lean designs. Any pictures or drawing will point me in the right direction. I tried to open the attachment on several of the link in the conversation but I get errors. Am I doing something wrong that I cannot open them or are the attachment links broken.

Dale

I have a portable hydraulic gas powered system. I am hoping to add a hydraulic motor to the band saw mill so I can keep it light and add hydraulics to for other application of the band saw mill. I have lots of large oak trees on my land that I want to select cut to make boards. Some are over 30 inches in dia. and I want to bring the mill to the tree. We also have lots of pine trees dying on our land and want to select cut them out before the wood get bad. Thanks for all your help and nice job on your lean designs. Any pictures or drawing will point me in the right direction. I tried to open the attachment on several of the link in the conversation but I get errors. Am I doing something wrong that I cannot open them or are the attachment links broken.

Dale

Dale I have A very hard time with the coumptor, maby someone else can help you, Hydraulic power will work, but I've never tryed it If you have 15 or more HP. I would increase the band speed.
Gene

Genes_Dad_(800x502).jpg
Hi Everyone I've ben gone for a while, My Grandson Justin wanted to learn to build bandsaw mill's so I'm back building one maybe more, we almost have one finished, will send pictures when its finished.
Here is a picture of my father's mill in 1935 or 1936 My and my Sister job was to carry water from the spring [ 5 miles up hill both ways ] to keep the radiator [barrel ] full Oooolder brother, from this site was the sawdust dudler.
Sometime when there wasnt enough gas for the truck we hauled the lumber to the planer mill 20 miles with a team of horses and a wagon, took several days with a stop at the Darwin Oklahoma Honky Tonk. It was only a 2 day trip with the model A ford truck,
Keep in mind this sounds like hard times But my Brothers and Sisters only remember this as happy times makeing a liveing was hard but people were happy, maybe more than today.
Gene

Back