Small ? difference in 262/261 cylinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High-Wall

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
While ringing my 262
I compared it to a 261 cyl - '98 Mahle 48ZN15 - top
transfer rectangular shaped w/ fairly smooth cast finish
262 cyl - '95 Mahle 48ZK - top transfer oval shaped
is wider but not as tall as 261, rougher finish w/ sharp ledge at bottom
of lower transfer port
Which cyl. would ya'll use?
Any thoughts on power band differences?

I will tell you my 261 with a 262 piston and muffler would not keep up with my two factory 262's.

Probably because they share the same piston. The cylinder is where all the magic happens.

Actually the 261 comes with a dished piston but they share the same cylinder. That said there were different cylinders over the years, reputedly the very early 262 with the non-decomp KS cylinder and hda-87 is the hot setup.

I will tell you my 261 with a 262 piston and muffler would not keep up with my two factory 262's.
I needed to hear that. I did minor port smoothing & matching on the 262 cylinder w/ gasket delete. Where do they hide the
NOX bottle?

I have one of the early ones. Serial number 0430710. Could anyone tell me which cylinder I have? It has the hda-87 carb and no compression release.

This saw is quite strong and revs like a good running 50cc saw. How do they compare to the 562xp or 362cm?

Sorry for sidetracking your thread.

I rebuilt a scorched 261 with a early non decomp 262 cylinder and factory 262 flat top piston stock gasket and advanced the ignition slightly.....was not disappointed at all..set it up as my ultimate fire wood saw .325 16 inch bar....a real sleeper

sap can

I was told by a dealer who I trust and is a site sponsor NOT to delete the gasket, its too close......
You are right & he is right. I finished the 262 before
I posted and didn't check squish until today. I would have
been a little more cautious if I hadn't assumed the base
gasket was .020". It was .030" - squish is .016". Compression
is 160# after 5 min. run time.
I will post again if it implodes. Thanks everybody.

Back