Small leaf linden barely growing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinari

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a linden (Tilia Europea) that has barely grown two feet or so in six years. When I planted it, the trunk was either 2" or 2.5". Now it is 3.25". The crown has filled in nicely, and it's actually a good looking, symmetrical tree. It's just not growing at the rate I expected.

Last year, it somehow suffered a pretty nasty gash. The bark was opened for a vertical length of 16-18". However, it healed surprisingly well this year.

I have not done a soil analysis, but my birch and callery pear (from previous owner) have done extremely well in this soil. My linden and oak have both had negligible growth.

It gets full sun exposure and should have sufficient water. We have had rnough rainfall these past three summers that I didn't even need to water the lawn.

Any recommendations on nutrients or anything else I can try to bring it to a normal growth rate?

How is the planting depth?

As for fertization, I recommend a soil test. Absent that generally go with a balanced product like 12-12-12 or something with more nitrogen to push more growth (but not too much for too long as trees will sacrifice defense and better balanced root system for top growth given more N). Fertilize in spring or fall...

Not to sound too sarcastic...but most people would like to think that because they paid a lot of money to have it planted or because the people who planted it have been doing this for 40 years... Unfortunately far too many are planted too deep. Can you see a pronounced flare where the tree meets the ground or does it look like a post stuck in the ground? (Can you post a picture?)

No offense taken. I appreciate the advice. I'm having trouble with photos from my phone, but I will try again from my computer.

I planted it myself and I remember specifically not planting it too deep after reading that it was a common mistake. There is a flare where the trunk meets the ground.

Not sure if this shows it well; the mulch probably hides a bit of the flare, but it's there (the mulch is not actually touching the trunk).

IMG_0215_zpsjdkcxlml.jpg

Tree is doing fine. Good color and stem elongation. I see the yard isnt too big but a wider mulch ring would be beneficial.

If you're still concerned, a root collar examination could be performed to check for girdling roots which could slow a tree down.

Latest posts

Back