Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleTree

Husqvarna. Just 'cause.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site, although I have been trolling it for a few months now. I currently only have a Husqvarna 235e (which I know is not a popular saw around here) and I am looking to upgrade my saw. Currently I am thinking of the Husqvarna 450, 545, 543xp, and 550xp. I do not have much of a budget right now so I really am leaning toward the $370 450. I am planning on using the saw mostly for cleanup around my property (in a small city) and occasionally for firewood too. I would probably not be cutting anything down that is bigger than 24" in diameter and that would be a rare occasion. I think most of the stuff I'll be cutting will be less than 16" in diameter.

I would be happy to go used especially if it were to get me a much better deal. I have a few craigslist options that might fit the bill (I will add links below). One is a Jonsered 2255 with a 20" bar and 3 spare chains for $225. Also, I have found a Husqvarna 371xp that has been modified for $320. Finally, I have found a Husqvarna 455 Rancher for $325 and a 460 Rancher for $450.

I do not need the saw in too much of a hurry as long as my 235 continues to work. So, if it really would be worth it to upgrade to a pro level saw I might be able to save up the money to get one. On the other hand I may never use the saw to the extent that a pro saw is designed to be used. If the amount of use I get out of the saws is going to make them last about the same amount of time, it seems to me I should save a little money. Either way I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Husqvarna 460
http://dubuque.craigslist.org/grd/5016289920.html

Husqvarna 455
http://dubuque.craigslist.org/tls/5105548173.html

Jonsered 2255
http://dubuque.craigslist.org/tls/5073539125.html

Husqvarna 372xp
http://dubuque.craigslist.org/grd/5094986434.html

If it were me i would go used.stay away from the rancher series huskys they are heavy pigs.they are what they are farm and ranch saws.
These days i couldn't recommend many of the new stihl saws and huskys well i never do get to try those out but i can recommend the new echo saws.if you have a dealer around go check the prices on the cs590 and cs490 saws.they are pro grade with a magnesium crankcase.the only thing different between the c590 and cs 600 is that the 590 has a plastic top handle and spur drive sprocket instead of aluminum top handle and rim sprocket.
The msrp is less than $400 for the cs490 and less than $500 on the cs590

Sounds like the target market of the Rancher series is exactly what you intend to do with a saw. You aren't a logger or professional arborist, and your saw probably won't see over 20 hours of actual run time per year.

My old Husky 55 Rancher and Stihl 029 Super are actually overkill for most yard and cleanup work, and I find that a ~45 cc saw works well for that type work.

Thanks for the replies!

I have looked at and held some Echo saws at Theisen's, but as far as I know they are not a dealer just a box store. I have a Blain's Farm and Fleet that is listed as my dealer, but being such a large store and not just a local shop I'm wondering what their service will be like. Especially when it comes to fixing the saws. If anyone knows how it works at Blain's I would be interested in hearing about it. Either way I wasn't crazy about the way they felt in hand, but that said I haven't looked over their specifications too carefully to compare them closely to the Husqvarna.

I do have a Husqvarna dealer within 3 blocks of my house. I do like their saws I have tried. So, I'll certainly shoot Mesupra a message.

I certainly have found that my small saw has been enough around the house which is why I am wondering if I might prefer going to a bigger saw. I did find out recently that I might be able to cut more firewood around here. I still am looking at the Husqvarna 450 because it is a midrange saw powerful enough for a decent sized cut, but still small and light enough that if I did get a bigger saw it will be useful for limbing and smaller work.

Does anyone know if the 235 will probably hold up if I take care of it? I would like to keep it going for a while, but if its something that will just die I might sell it while it still has some value.

Thanks again!

I say go with husky 455 or the black and red. I exp with echo is you go crazy looking for parts. Then pay a inportant body part to get it. Aftermarket is better for huskys but i love the black and red

Out of the limited options you have on CL, The 2255 seems to be the best bang for the buck, and $225 is better than the other options, and it should be more than big enough to handle cleanup/blue moon firewood duty

I say go with husky 455 or the black and red. I exp with echo is you go crazy looking for parts. Then pay a inportant body part to get it. Aftermarket is better for huskys but i love the black and red
If you love black and red i'll send you a picture of my 2260 when i get it.....its on the way[emoji6]

guy on my local CL wants $325 for a husky 55, no good internet deals for me without ebay.

Out of the limited options you have on CL, The 2255 seems to be the best bang for the buck, and $225 is better than the other options, and it should be more than big enough to handle cleanup/blue moon firewood duty

I do feel like of the options I have right now that 2255 is the best. I am a little concerned about power to weight... I love my current saw's 10# weight and I like the feel of the 450 as far as weight goes. On the other hand if I am not using the saw for extended periods weight might not be as important?

If I'm honest I'm kinda surprised no one has told me to go spend $600-1000 on a saw yet... o_O;):)

I'll try and drop by that guy's house some time and check out the 2255. Maybe I'll like black and red as it seems so many around here do.
(But I am stubbornly biased toward orange... I know its a stupid thing, especially as an amateur, but I know you under stand. :) )

Welcome to the site. There's many option out there for you. A good used pro saw from this site is a good place to start. You won't go wrong with a 50cc saw and an 18" bar or a 60cc with a 20" bar. Best of luck. Happy hunting.

Welcome to the site. There's many option out there for you. A good used pro saw from this site is a good place to start. You won't go wrong with a 50cc saw and an 18" bar or a 60cc with a 20" bar. Best of luck. Happy hunting.

Just a word of advice...if you see a nice saw for a good price DO NOT post the ad or specifics here, someone will beat you to it.

Now that you mention it... yeah you're right. I'll keep from posting things I'm that interested in. :)

Thanks for the welcome! I will keep my eyes out for something in that range and we'll see how things go. :)

Latest posts

Back