small skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those 2 stoke diesel's are bad. I have seen a bunch of John Deere 435 and440ID tractors (not skidders) and dozers that could flat pull. And the sound is hard to describe. They had the ol GM 2-53 motor.

Ray

I don't cut enough to own a skidder, but have seen them work. In my opinion, there ain't an AG tractor in the world that will run logs like a skidder....

Even with a darn good winch on a tractor it cannot compete with a skidder, and I have seen many, many people try over the years. I have seen some darn good tractor operators do the wood dance and they got some good production, but when the woods got sloppy and wet, they slowed way down. I have also seen a relative that owned an old 440 pull some amazing wood with his skidder. He was also so good that you could barely tell where he dragged the logs, he hardly left a mark. Equipment is part of the equation, operator is another.

THis might have been mentioned, but one important feature of a woods-tractor or skidder is an armored floor.

Most Ag. tractors have mostly open floors that easily admit debris in the form of spears - operators have been killed by saplings/etc that are broken off but still pointing up at an angle, they go through the open front/floor and impale the operator.

The bobcat that I use has thick steel between me and ground hazards as do most pro. skidders - if you use an Ag. tractor in the woods adding floor armor is an important mod.

It all depends on how much wood your moving. A four wheel drive farm tractor can do a lot but log skidders are built for it. I have a Garrett 30 line skidder that will move way more than a farm tractor.

THis might have been mentioned, but one important feature of a woods-tractor or skidder is an armored floor.

Most Ag. tractors have mostly open floors that easily admit debris in the form of spears - operators have been killed by saplings/etc that are broken off but still pointing up at an angle, they go through the open front/floor and impale the operator.

The bobcat that I use has thick steel between me and ground hazards as do most pro. skidders - if you use an Ag. tractor in the woods adding floor armor is an important mod.

Wonder what that 6' blade is used for on the back of that 530 is for? Before the logs get skidded out all the fire wood is gathered up and brush is piled up. See I don't just get the fire wood. The video I am pulling out logs for timber. If fire wood is gone and the brush is piled then the only thing left to do is pull logs. Other than dropping trees that is the most fun I have.

Ray

Never put much thought into that. I'm either running on good trails, or use the loader bucket as a shear on little stuff, just floating at ground level. Widowmakers are another story. Gotta keep one eye in the sky at all times. A skidder or skid loader's enclosed canopy would be safer.

All I'm gonna say on the tractor vs skidder debate is that I have lots of uses for a tractor, only one for a skidder, and to be honest most of my skidding is for convenience not necessity, so I could do without either if need be in the woods. Take my tractors away and I'm lost on the farm though.

I'll use what works best for me, and y'all can make your own decisions.

Never put much thought into that. I'm either running on good trails, or use the loader bucket as a shear on little stuff, just floating at ground level. Widowmakers are another story. Gotta keep one eye in the sky at all times. A skidder or skid loader's enclosed canopy would be safer.

All I'm gonna say on the tractor vs skidder debate is that I have lots of uses for a tractor, only one for a skidder, and to be honest most of my skidding is for convenience not necessity, so I could do without either if need be in the woods. Take my tractors away and I'm lost on the farm though.

Well said. :agree2:

Ray

I agree, skidders are too specialized for my taste, although I understand their use in a commercial operation. Agricultural tractors have such a wide variety of uses that it is hard to beat them. I would just make a few mods if I had to use one in the woods (the armored floor and a falling objects protection system).

I really, really like the skid steer (Bobcat) for skidding, it can do most of the same jobs as the tractor with a number of additional uses. There is no way to beat the maneuverability of a skid steer - a 0' turn radius in the woods comes in handy, especially when doing selective harvesting. Most skid steers have very substantial cages around the operator for rollover and falling object protection as well. And don't get me started on the number of attachments available at the local rental place!

I find that even my small machine can drag a huge pile of logs out effortlessly by simply hooking binder chains to the bucket.

tractor/skidder

tractor is NOT A SKIDDER it has some high points tho, i use both and the tractor pounds dirt compared to timberjack 230 and our cat 518. haha no lie i havent used a winch on my yanmar 336d but im sure if i got one itd be 10 times better. but as far as safety, handling, speed, driving in mud/snow its nothing on a log skidder. floor protection is a plus i should invest.

anyone use a small skidder here for doing thier firewood with? i am currently using a tractor and it pretty much stinks. why dont we show some pics?

yes moved to a skidder as well , little ole 440 John deere engine rebuild to 100hp and a new wrinch pulling 5 or 6 chokers depending if 1 is broke , it ll take a good hich to a good dry and high landing site . now i only need a good loader that will take a bucket or forks , presently use a forklift which also doubles as an adjustable lift saw buck

Latest posts

Back