Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Skidder

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by maddog, Dec 29, 2016.

1. maddog

maddog New Member

I cut cedar in northeast ky and also firewood. would like some input and pics of small skidders that would be good for what i need. thanks in advance

2. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

Deere 440's series a b c all good machines depending on how much abuse they have gotten.

Timberjack in the 200's i.e. 206 210 etc

Clark 664 or 666, though the 666 is more of a midsize skidder, and 664's are rare.

Garrett,CanCar,Treefarmer all about the same (all licensed from garrett) garrett 10-15-16 or 21's CanCar/Treefarmer C4 or C5

There are a few more out there, but more rare, Masey Furgeson, and Case both made skidders, Pettibone (If I remember they are the continuation of Treefarmer/Garrett)

If you plan on going with a small skidder then your pretty much looking at line skidders I.E. winch and chokers, putting a grapple on a smaller machine can be done, but its really not meant for it and will increase the center of gravity to absurd levels.

On the same note if you wan't a new skidder first they are stupid expensive and second no one makes a small one, Third they pretty much all come with grapples now. (If you do plan on buying new, can I have 20k its for a good cause...)

KiwiBro and chucker like this.
  3. Marshy

Marshy 285 Killa

The John Deere 440B skidders feel like a lot more machine than the A's. If you come across a C then get it. They all have amount the exact same footprint and weight. The C's had a little wider tire. Lots of people in the north east still use them.

chucker, KiwiBro and sw oh logger like this.
  4. Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger Timber Baron

image.jpeg It's hard to beat a JD 540, even a small sawed off runt such as myself is hard put to fit in the cab of a 440.

KiwiBro and sw oh logger like this.
  5. SliverPicker

SliverPicker ArboristSite Guru

C5D with C6 axles, 5 cylinder Deutz with a grapple and winch. Works great. You can turn more with the winch than the grapple if you have enough chokers.

P1020013.JPG

6. Northerner

Northerner ArboristSite Operative

Cat 518. The most reliable and Efficient machine in its day. Still going on farm duty.

sw oh logger likes this.
  7. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Wasn't the C longer? I know they could be setup with a grapple.

Anymore a 648 is "small"... I mean shoot the 948 can about carry a 648 in its geapple.

8. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

not sure on the 440c but the a and b if it had the powershift option will be about a foot longer then the psycho range version