smoking chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I started using my new cs550p a couple of weeks ago,so I ordered a couple of woodland pro chains from Bailey's. The original chain is a 20lpx78, I ordered wpl 20rc78. Both are .325 50 ga. Etc.
I put the wpl chain on and it bogged down and started smoking the chain and bar. Plenty of oil flying off the bar end. Did not hit anything. Chain is free on the bar and sprocket. Am I missing something on compatibility?

And make sure it's not on backwards. I just flipped one around on Saturday. (didn't try to cut with it but it was on backwards. it happens)

An experienced logger just told me Saturday that a new chain that he file sharpens himself right after a new chain gets dull will cut better than the same new chain did on the first pass. In my book, that's interesting testimony, to say the least. What says the forum?

An experienced logger just told me Saturday that a new chain that he file sharpens himself right after a new chain gets dull will cut better than the same new chain did on the first pass. In my book, that's interesting testimony, to say the least. What says the forum?

A chain that is filed for the first time will cut better than the chain brand new did right out of the box? o_O

My chains from their first filing and onwards always cut at least as good as new out of the box. ;)

Then chain is not backwards, checked that first. I have put them on backwards before, but never got farther than the door of the shop before I noticed;)

If the bar smokes and your chain aint on backwards, your cutters aint cutting.

Figuring out why they aint cutting is next ........... a mis-sharpened chain will smoke, a chain with rakers too high will smoke, a dull chain will smoke, mismatched B&C combo's can smoke.

Brand new out of the box chain. I got to look at the cutters when I get home and see if they failed to sharpen them at the factory. I was cutting a newly felled oak top. No dirt no rocks. I put the original chain back on and it cuts fine.

No experience with woodland pro chain, but have seen high rakers once or twice on new Stihl chain that made for marginal cutting.

There have been a number of posts through the years about factory edges on chains. Some people want different angles or profiles than the factory supplies. There can always be quality control issues with a batch of cutters or completed loops - any brand. But a new chain should not be so dull that it smokes. Hopefully, you can clean up the edges and solve the problem. If not, contact Bailey's.

Philbert

There have been a number of posts through the years about factory edges on chains. Some people want different angles or profiles than the factory supplies. There can always be quality control issues with a batch of cutters or completed loops - any brand. But a new chain should not be so dull that it smokes. Hopefully, you can clean up the edges and solve the problem. If not, contact Bailey's.

Philbert
I've really never encountered a new chain so poor that that it was useless. A new chain that pulls right I have encountered. In fact, I bought a whole new 100' reel of chain that produced loops that pulled right because the left rakers were set too high. Most retailers or the MFG will replace defective chain.

I just had some lo pro chain woodland pro brand semi chisel.

I check all my edged tools with 10 to 30x magnification.

Every cutter was sharp, a few not perfect but all sharp.

The rakers however........ each one needed 3 to 5 swipes to meet .025 on my center drop depth gauge.

I believe a properly hand sharpened chain, with a round file, will meet a perfect factory sharpening. My edges are great.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415441660321.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415441660321.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 42
What about stihl chain should we run a file over a new stihl chain?

Latest posts

Back