Snellerized Saws Meets the Stihl MS261C II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the the single heaviest part in every saw? The crank.
Yes, every saw needs a crankshaft. Ya think they made it out of titanium or something?
The counter weights have to be sized to compensate for the reciprocating weight of the piston and rod, correct?
I can't see much weight savings potential there.

Yes, every saw needs a crankshaft. Ya think they made it out of titanium or something?
The counter weights have to be sized to compensate for the reciprocating weight of the piston and rod, correct?
I can't see much weight savings potential there.

The whole assembly could be lightened. When you take a saw apart you get an idea where the bulk of the weight come from, that is the crank assembly. The saw does rev higher out of the box, which screams to me they lightened the crank assembly and piston.

Also no reason to act like an ass.

Is that a guess or did it come from Stihl advertising? I retired from Rohm&Haas, we made MMA from crude oil to make plastic additives, to make plastics stonger. Are you pulling my leg?o_O
Nope. Not pulling your leg. SWAG.
Don't know krap about plastics. Thought more glass fiber added strength.

Metals guy myself. Aerospace fasteners R&D.
I'm curious myself.

I'm confused....(Suprise!)

This new model is not a Mtronic controlled saw???? If not, what/how do you adjust the carb after making modifications? (Muffler and Head Porting, etc.) I still see the "C" in it's designation....So doesn't that mean it adjusts on it's own, and isn't that the same thing the Mtronic system does?

Please forgive me...Lol!

-Pat

Thanks Brad!

I was digging the idea of never having to adjust another carb in my lifetime. :)

So that means all "C" models are Mtronic?

BTW,

How long has this model been available? Is it "on the shelves now"?

Is that a guess or did it come from Stihl advertising? I retired from Rohm&Haas, we made MMA from crude oil to make plastic additives, to make plastics stonger. Are you pulling my leg?o_O

Rohm and Haas was bought up by NB coating here in Canada. Now these were good days!

Nope. Not pulling your leg. SWAG.
Don't know krap about plastics. Thought more glass fiber added strength.
I'm curious myself.
You're correct. Adding more glass can improve the tensile strength of plastics (within limits). Whether Stihl did that as a weight reduction technique, who knows. It also can make the resin more brittle also wears out molds and equipment like crazy.

You're correct. Adding more glass can improve the tensile strength of plastics (within limits). Whether Stihl did that as a weight reduction technique, who knows. It also can make the resin more brittle also wears out molds and equipment like crazy.
Thanks. We were always testing fasteners in metals then Carbon Fiber. Never did much with plastics.
Except thermosets for setting mounts before microphotography.

Sorry for calling you an ass termite/Bryan, knee jerk reaction on my part.

Anyway I was just thinking maybe they change they changed the size of the crank and lightened the piston. Pretty amazing how much they lightened the saw, even though I personally never thought weight was a that big deal with the 261.

Back