So I can get a refubished PP5020AV for $100.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been wanting another saw with a chainbrake. I have considered one of Dolmar's offerings or even the excellent deal on the Maruyama on Amazon. But I don't heat with wood or even use a chainsaw that often. But I do have trees and brush that call for a saw, a couple acres worth. So I have been watching for deals and Ebay is currently running a coupon deal that allows me to get a PP5020AV refurbished for about $100 shipped to me. Should I pounce on it or wait and get a pro build saw? Remember, I am not a lumberjack, just a guy with a couple of acres that needs a saw.
Thoughts, comments?

Edit: How will the Poulan compare power wise with the Husky 435? I want a saw more powerful than the 435.

With what you just described I wouldn't think you need to lay out more cash on something thats not going to see the use unless (which usually happens) you see your need for one expanding in the coming years ahead. I used to cut with an old 18" Craftsman and put it through Locust and anything else that came before it
That saw will serve you just fine and then some. Looks like $130 BNIB on Walmart + free s/h

if money is that tight you might be as well off with a $40 used roby from flea-bay.

or one of those $80 china saws.

you don't see many "real" saws for much less than $400 and when you get to the $100 level --well your paying for that low price in other ways.

probably a saws-all is more saw than HE needs--lol

when you get into the uber low dollar saws -- there pretty close to the same --give or take a few trade offs--

the pull-ann is about as OK as any other cheap saw . like what do you expect from a $100 saw??

it should run well enough-- one of my neighbors had one --cut a lot of wood with it-- seemed to be a bit of a PITA to crank sometimes, and it seemed like the bar was allways wore out--cheap china made bar came on it.

after a couple of seasons he was trying to saw up a big oak that had blown down and parts of it melted and after it cooled off it never started again. by that time though he had got his $100 out of it and some change i suspect. it ended up in the dumpster--

Buy it - bought 2 of the $100 refurb saws, as backup for my Stihls. But, tune the carb properly when you get it. I find i use the 5020's more than the Stihls anymore.

Poulan is a good deal i liked this one better at 79.08 shipped ebay kingpark 58cc they are 100.00 shipped now lighter than a poulan and more power i woods ported it and was very happy with it i ran about five gallons through it my friend needed a saw and wanted it he is very happy with it i was going to buy another one but i found those chinese 365 clones.20170131_152738.jpg 20170131_152759.jpg

I haven't purchased a Chinese saw - yet. Every time I about pull the trigger and buy one, Vminnovations on eBay has a sale on a 5020. And then I get to thinking: the Poulan is American, I've cut 12-15 full cord a year with them, haven't had any problems, and after I open up the exhaust and adjust the carb, with a 16" bar --- they run like a raped ape (as my uncle used to say).

How does that saw run? Any problems with it? How much wood has it been through? Good looking machine!

Yesterday I picked up a Earthquake CS3816 $40 really clean minimal use saw, just to see how they were made because I see it is based on the same Chinese design as the rest. Took it home and readjusted the carb and that thing is one guttless machine. Reminded me of this when I had it running

I have been wanting ant barother saw with a chainbrake. I have considered one of Dolmar's offerings or even the excellent deal on the Maruyama on Amazon. But I don't heat with wood or even use a chainsaw that often. But I do have trees and brush that call for a saw, a couple acres worth. So I have been watching for deals and Ebay is currently running a coupon deal that allows me to get a PP5020AV refurbished for about $100 shipped to me. Should I pounce on it or wait and get a pro build saw? Remember, I am not a lumberjack, just a guy with a couple of acres that needs a saw.
Thoughts, comments?

Edit: How will the Poulan compare power wise with the Husky 435? I want a saw more powerful than the 435.

I just scooped up a brand new Craftsman Pro 50cc 20 inch bar (PP5020AV Clone), I have cut down 7 trees this week with it. Largest trees were about 20-24 inch diameter. Once the saw broke in I gave it a quick chain sharpening it didnt run out of power for what I was doing with it. I bought it on sale for $180 and I had 11 bux off of that in points. I say buy the Craftsman saw for a tad bit more than what you are gonna pay for that refurb. I had alot of work to do immediately with my saw so I figured if I hated it, I would just return it. I am done clearing my fence line as of today, and I think I am gonna keep this saw.

I have never used the Husky 435, but this Craftsman didnt leave me wanting for more power. I think both the PP5020AV and Craftsman Pro 50cc would be better suited to a 16 or 18 inch bar with a chisel bit chain. Mainly my preference is to have a large engine on a short bar/with a gnarly chain.

Poulan is a good deal i liked this one better at 79.08 shipped ebay kingpark 58cc they are 100.00 shipped now lighter than a poulan and more power i woods ported it and was very happy with it i ran about five gallons through it my friend needed a saw and wanted it he is very happy with it i was going to buy another one but i found those chinese 365 clones.View attachment 568508 View attachment 568509

Thats a nice lookin saw, I may give one of those a try. (kingpark 58cc)

Hey TS73,what exhaust mod di you do to the Poulan?

Poulan is a good deal i liked this one better at 79.08 shipped ebay kingpark 58cc they are 100.00 shipped now lighter than a poulan and more power i woods ported it and was very happy with it i ran about five gallons through it my friend needed a saw and wanted it he is very happy with it i was going to buy another one but i found those chinese 365 clones.View attachment 568508 View attachment 568509
The pic is NOT a 365 clone! It is a Zenoah G 5000 clone with a larger engine.

The amount of knowledge here is crazy......I can see it now, I am gonna end up with several saws, big bore kits, expansion chambers, full chisel chains....LOL

The pic is NOT a 365 clone! It is a Zenoah G 5000 clone with a larger engine.

Kingpark 58cc 18 inch bar 79.08 Chinese 365 clone 220.00 looks like this he wanted to discuss 100.00 saws though.20170323_153457(1).jpg

Back