So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My homelite xl started to feel lean, so I am attempting to pressure test it. It is kicking my arse:angry:
over a hour in and it won't build pressure. Leak after leak.... just getting exhaust and intake sealed. :nofunny:

Finally warm enough to go out to the shop and start putting the Homelite together. Piston fits pretty good, now I have to look around and see if I can find a few odds and ends to complete the project. I imagine I have most of the parts in the building if I could just find them..

My homelite xl started to feel lean, so I am attempting to pressure test it. It is kicking my arse:angry:
over a hour in and it won't build pressure. Leak after leak.... just getting exhaust and intake sealed. :nofunny:
Which XL is it? Homelite used that term for about a million saws or so. I have a couple of XLs and they look nothing alike...

Which XL is it? Homelite used that term for about a million saws or so. I have a couple of XLs and they look nothing alike...
Mine are both identical. Homelite xl automatic oiling. Just a little 26cc. But I like them for some reason:laugh:

Attachments

• 1425858507336850375317.jpg
    1425858507336850375317.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 13
I have a couple of them too. I've had at least one for the last 25 years or so. I also have a couple of the Super XLAO saws, one I'm putting together from spare parts, hope it runs.
Building a saw from a pile of parts is one thing I want to do, soon. I had a 150 I tossed a couple years ago, I still kick myself for it.

I've built several saws from parts because I've had so many old Homelites and Poulans that the parts pile up kinda quickly. Rather than keeping the parts I put them together. Some saws made from parts actually do better than some I've bought complete. I've got several sources of parts also. The one I'm working on now isn't gonna be cheap because I've had to buy a new piston for it plus a few other odds and ends. These old Super XL saws are pretty simple to work on..

It was 72 today so I finished the tune up on my Stihl 021.
Talking about Homelites my $5 Super EZ looks like it was built out of parts, or at least 2 different saws.
uploadfromtaptalk1425876426382.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1425876451074.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1425876464624.jpeg

Melted some wire with the MIG making some pipe stands for a neighbor.
Ran the hedge trimmer on a pole to cut down some Pampus grass then i played neighborhood redneck.
I burned the stumps/roots, they burn quickly.
Did i mention that the Pampus grass is in the front yard.

Only 1 person noticed, a newer neighbor. He walked up and said
I like a neighborhood where you can have a fire in the front yard.

We talked about hedge trimmers and chainsaws. He is going to bring me an 017 to look at.
Don't know if that's good or bad?

In my defense my wife wanted me to get rid of the Pampus grass.

Used saws for what they are intended for,

IMG_20150308_161417.jpg
c807a5d1ae6b35355e20770050e74ac7.jpg
d6a383c0ead4188cd896235f2e7c6d08.jpg

Melted some wire with the MIG making some pipe stands for a neighbor.
Ran the hedge trimmer on a pole to cut down some Pampus grass then i played neighborhood redneck.
I burned the stumps/roots, they burn quickly.
Did i mention that the Pampus grass is in the front yard.

Only 1 person noticed, a newer neighbor. He walked up and said
I like a neighborhood where you can have a fire in the front yard.

We talked about hedge trimmers and chainsaws. He is going to bring me an 017 to look at.
Don't know if that's good or bad?

In my defense my wife wanted me to get rid of the Pampus grass.
Mine is still standing. I need to cut it down before the new bunch comes in but the ground is so soft around it that I'd turn it into a mud hole. I knew this would happen when we got all that snow..

Here's my $20 CL find. It had the fuel plug cross threaded, and overtightened. The result is a cracked fuel tank neck.
20150303_184701.jpg
All I did was wipe the dust, and grime off of it. I suspect the damage to the tank was very early in its service life.
While waiting for parts I decided to pull the recoil cover, and flywheel off to remove the damaged tank.
20150309_093724.jpg
This is what the saw looks like internally(no cleaning involved). I swear it must have been damaged on its first, or second tank of fuel.

I have a 3400 saw that's about like yours. I really like it since I put a good chain on it. Those were made when Poulan and other companies didn't use much plastic..If I remember correctly those tanks aren't that hard to change and they're plentiful..

Changed the oil in my wife's car and played with the 044 I bought yesterday. Finished the day by power washing my driveway, this is partially completed so you can see the difference.

image.jpg

Wandered into the garage/shop last night to find water on the floor. The old gas water heater was leaking, 32yrs. old so this am. i go find a new one.
Get the new one home then go to shut off the water.
The meter box is full of water. Felt around and found the supply side pipe was cracked.

The water heater install took 2 1/2hrs. then another 2 waiting on the water company to fix their leak.

Maybe tomorrow i can get to the farm and run some saws and tractor.

Did a little body work on wife's car..winters are rough for her or she's getting in a demolition derby that I don't know about. Did a carb cleaning on an 8000 echo saw and tried adjusting the carb on the 435 Husqvarna with no success so I guess that carb is gonna have to be cleaned and kitted also. The Echo appears to have a very flimsy intake boot so I need to check it before I put it back together. I'm probably gonna take tomorrow off and resume working on these things on Monday.

Back