So ya want to criticize videos eh? Come get some here then!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Seems to be the genre'. Put a video up and get hammered.

I see they're still having a go at 1CallLandscapes video from August 2006. Ya notch is this that and the other bla bla bla. :sword:

But thing is you dont see to many working day videos from other people but plenty of lip service.
pokinit.gif

Toward the end have a look at the amount of crap on the neighbours roof. That over here constitutes a private nuisance and is reasonable ground for pruning or removal.

It's a big one at 56mb and 11mins

www.palmtreeservices.com.au/video/pine.wmv

It is a knotless take down of a pine in a tight location, no buckets, no cranes, no BS.

Ekka,
what kind of sling were you using there? Exactly how was your rigging carabiner attached to the lowering line. I want to adopt that method. I have never seen it before and 90% of the work I do is pine trees. looks like it mover pretty fast.

Sure mate.

First off the biner is an Omega 72KN

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?...omega+72kn+carabiner&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Gate opens at an angle so the gate doesn't hit the spine of the biner giving a large opening.

The lowering rope has a spliced eye with protective webbing to stop rubbing. I use 9/16 double braid rated at 6000kg but 5/8 would be fine too and match the biner well.

The loops I prefer and use are 9/16 double braid, get an endless loop spliced and best length is around 1200mm (that's 1200mm long) but I have a large range going right up to 5m.

The sling that held the block to the tree is also a 9/16 double braid loop perhaps 2m long.

The block is rated at 2000kg SWL.

The slings can be prussicked on for smooth timber as well.

Very fast system, fast for the ground guys and you can have multiple slings on you to get cracking instead of waiting. The slings have some weight to them unlike tape and you get handy at flicking them through crotches etc.

Give it a go, you just need to get some-one to splice double braid.

How strong is the sling?

6000kg x 2 = 12000kg minus 10% for splice = 10800kg

In application you take off another 20% for a girth hitch so ...

10800 minus 20% = 8640kg, well above lowering rope and requirements.

You wont go back to knots I assure you.

Pretty cool Ekka, couple of points. 1) how come you rope down almost every branch? You could have cut and held (oh, one handing, I forgot) on to many and thrown them down 2) You went to all that trouble to lower, and then you just sent blocks tumbling down instead of holding them and dropping them flat so they stay when they hit. Pretty well all I climb now is pine, I rig very little, I just let 'er rip, I damage lawns, like I care.

just curious why you limb walk like you do?
On the flat limbs i find it alot easier to just hop ontop of them and walk out them.

only thing I got. :D

big rope for those little pieces, i use 1/2" for most everything.

just curious why you limb walk like you do?
On the flat limbs i find it alot easier to just hop ontop of them and walk out them.

only thing I got. :D

Yes, I was working the tree from the bottom up, I get to that position first and figure I might as well just pop out there and whack in a sling.

The second one was going up at a 45 degree angle, not a good one to walk up and the spikes help stop you from swinging into the trunk.

big rope for those little pieces, i use 1/2" for most everything.

Rope was 9/16, didn't know 1.5mm was such a big deal.

NEXT
mobster.gif

Great video, Ekka!!!!!

That helmet cam rocks!! It makes a really great instructional tool. I'll never need all of the knowledge gained by watching your videos......but I just can't stop...

Ed

Not a big deal with the 1/2" ropes. You can do alot with 1/2" ropes. I would just soon use 1/2" cause it weighs less but your running yours thru a block so its not near as hard to yard rope around in a tree. Its also cheaper..

I would have walked out the 45 degree lead just as you did, I might not have stopped to cut those dead stubs off though :)

Nice video, I need a helmet cam.

Oh you can have all the pines you want, I hate the filthy stick things.

Thanks

There's some nice guys too eh. :rock:

I got some great videos off that camera, sure works well and the ground guys can see what we're getting up to.

The pine sap sucks though.

Thanks

There's some nice guys too eh. :rock:

I got some great videos off that camera, sure works well and the ground guys can see what we're getting up to.

The pine sap sucks though.

eric dude, too right. videos like these have given me so much insight into why i want to get off the ground and certified as soon as possible. I just downloaded your DRT video as well. I found it tonnes better than any book seeing the techniques in action. unfortunately our climber at work has no time to teach me these things so i have to learn everything by trial and error low and slow.

thanks a million for posting bro. my hard drive is filling up but keep the vids coming :hmm3grin2orange:

Jim

Hey Jim

Did you like the way (even when I queued it) the ground guy didn't let that limb down and I stuck my hand out to stop getting clobbered?

I like showing them those bits to. :chainsaw:

That's where good ground guys make a climbers life or break it. Good communication and dialogue, some support like "yep, no worries, it'll be fine, just cut it, I'll swing it in here" etc help immensely. This one here was quite the opposite ... climber feeding it all back to the ground.

A good ground guy will near steer the climber ... "hey, whack the sling in there and we'll turn her around here" etc, they know the clearances as it wasn't the first piece you cut.

Keep ya ropes untwisted, judge the wraps without being told, when ya blocking the stem making sure your not cutting where a branch was coz you can see the back of the stump etc etc.

yah I saw that coming as soon as it didn't drop. Nice job.

Couldn't shut the saw off, put it away, yell at the groundy and put your hands up fast enough. :rock:

Is that the best ya gots eh?

Send in Clarence. :laugh: :laugh:

mobster.gif

Yeah, thats about it, like I said pretty cool. You wanted it. I climb a lot of dead pine, my style is a little different, also good groundsman are extemely rare around here.

Why so many dead pine? Fires?? Beatles??

We only get the odd dead one, usually lightening strike. They lose they're integrity quickly though.

Good work. Love the helmet cam and your directorial head head movement and editing, so we all get a close look, good job!

Yeah, thats about it, like I said pretty cool. You wanted it. I climb a lot of dead pine, my style is a little different, also good groundsman are extemely rare around here.

Why so many dead pine? Fires?? Beatles??

We only get the odd dead one, usually lightening strike. They lose they're integrity quickly though.

pine Beatles is right, its an epidemic here in BC

Sure mate.

First off the biner is an Omega 72KN

10800 minus 20% = 8640kg, well above lowering rope and requirements.

You wont go back to knots I assure you.

So why don't more people use the sling method? Sure looks a lot easier than tying knots...

Just new technique that hasn't gotten out there yet?

Back