Soccer shin guards when splitting wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When splitting my firewood with a maul, I almost ALWAYS will have a piece that will fly out and ding me in the shin. Ouch! I've decided to get a pair of those soccer shin guards to see if I can keep from bruising/scraping my legs. I thought about just wearing my chaps, but I don't think they'd work for this.

Yep, I'm looking to do the same thing!! I's pretty amazing how those wood chunks can find your shins so accurately. And it really hurts like hell when they hit you.

When splitting my firewood with a maul, I almost ALWAYS will have a piece that will fly out and ding me in the shin. Ouch! I've decided to get a pair of those soccer shin guards to see if I can keep from bruising/scraping my legs. I thought about just wearing my chaps, but I don't think they'd work for this.

Good idea litefoot!!
I will check my local sport supply store to try to find some.

I am still experiencing pain from a direct shin hit.
When it happened I didn't think that much of it due to the size of the split that hit me it. Also it was "soft" wood so I didn't think it could do much damage. But, after 2 months and there is still a black and blue bump where it hit me. :chainsaw:

these are what i wear
way more comfortable then soccer pads
3/4 thick foam 3/16 thick plastic
dont feel anything
in my oppinion worth the money

I wear my chaps but have looked for shin guards. Haven't found any in the big box stores yet. Still recuperating for the second time from a hit with a chunk when not wearing the chaps. Got an infection from it, leg swollen to twice its size. Still wearing orthopedic sock to help witht he swelling after a month. I should have learned 2 years ago when the same thing happend - never work around the wood pile without shin protection.

Harry K

you could also check out Ice hockey shin pads. they are extremely durable and they go over the knie!

p3414620dt.jpg

Ain't nothin' like luck!

It would be interesting to examine your splitting technique. I've split all my firewood with a maul for 15 years and have never been hit by a split. Ain't nothin' like luck!!!

Maybe change your stance ...
Or, put a longer handle on your maul, lol. (Just kidding):biggrinbounce2:

Anyway, when running a saw topside, chaps do help protect my knees and shins when I'm climbing. That's where I get bruises. I'm sure they'd help with splitting. And, you already have them!

Cautious bird hunters down south wear snake leggings before the first freeze in November. Most of 'em are stiff fiberglass, but mine are made of heavy bronze mesh covered with canvas. They're much more comfortable than the fiberglass tube ones and work great for protecting the shins from flying chunks of wood. I use 'em more for that purpose than I do for snakebite protection.

I've tried that splitting in a tire trick - and it works great - but I like to set up a batch of billets and move around to split them. Seems quicker, IMO - and I'm always wanting to get it done and over with. The stoop labor of moving them in and out of the tire seems slower and more tiring. :)

I always seem to send the chunks back at my shins when I'm tired and place the bit too far forward.

xtm

Shin guards

I just finishe knawing on a 60" X 14' oak butt my neighbor gave me. My shins are like cube steaks. That oak just beat me up. My 20" McCollouchs ran good as I rotated them between tanks of fuel. On one occasion, my wedge flew out of the block and nailed my right shin, I knew it hit but didn't know it was bleeding enough to soak my trousers. Later, that same block of wood rolled off my quad trailer and hit the exact same spot. Oh man:censored:. Damn thing blead like a hog-cut all night.

The rest of the job, I taped 6" X 12" pieces of sleeping pads to my shins/legs. Worked so well, I plan to sew in some of my favorite trousers.

I wore sewn in sleeping pads in my elbows (airfield jumps) and knees; off and on during my 24 year army career. I would be down to stumps without em.

:agree2: on shin protection

Latest posts

Back