Soda blasting for renewing plastic???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
I was thinking soda blasting may clean the faded, dirty plastic on saws. Anybody try it? I realize a clear coat would be needed after.

Honestly, I don't know. Thats why I was asking. I was thinking a super fine soda at a distance from the plastic may clean it without "etching" it.

Honestly, I don't know. Thats why I was asking. I was thinking a super fine soda at a distance from the plastic may clean it without "etching" it.

Maybe If you have a throw away piece of plastic, or the inside of a cover maybe you can try it out and finish it. Maybe it would be fine and I am just being a worry wart :cheers:

I hope my first response to who did not sound smart:censored:, I did not mean it to, reading it back it could seem that way. Anyway, I was thinking of using the backside as a test like you mentioned. If it works that would sure beat sanding for hours. I figured a clear coat would definitely be needed. I was hoping somebody tried it already

I was told buy a Husqvarna tech. that they use a spray on foaming solution, that is amazing. cleans faded plastic a bit, cleans up the see thru stihl plastic and is a must!

but I did not get the name!!!!!!! ERRRRRRRRRRRR

any one have a clue!

I have seen metal soda blasted, and the advantage over other media that I could see was that there was a lot less media used. Ran higher PSI, but did a fine job.
I wouldnt think that soda would have an advantage over glass on plastic, but may do the job you are looking for at greater distance, lower PSI.
I would think that a cabinet with well used glass or aluminum oxide at low psi would do the trick as well, but if you only have access to soda- I still say give er' a shot.

Last edited:
I've used soda blasting with the home made gun (works well) to clean up the outside of old Carter AFB car carberators, works excellent, makes them shiny and new looking, probably would work ok on saws, might have to buff them, but on the carbs it's a high quality smooth finish, nothing like my bead blasting cabinet.

I tried today on some Stihl orange plastic and it seems to remove dirt some what decent but it will need a clear coat to make it shine because the soda does remove any gloss it might have..

i sand blasted these with play sand, $4 a 50lb bag. 60 psi, started at 20 and though I was goign to eat threw but it did fine, this was well used sand that was very fine/dust.

CIMG1822.jpg

CIMG1823.jpg

could do more but was happy with that! about 1 min each.

note where the sticker was, got that faded in well almost don't see it, could have done more but i was happy enough.

CIMG1745.jpg

Last edited:
What I have used is a razor blade, and a propane torch (bernzamatic or lenox).

Take the razor blade and VERY carefully scrape the faded plastics till you see the correct color.

Then take the torch and very lightly wisk the flame over the plastics to warm them and flow the plastic out. It will bring the shine back some, then simply clear coat it.

I have done entire ATV's this way (front and rear plastics).

Wow... you must have had some time on your hands!

Take the razor blade and VERY carefully scrape the faded plastics till you see the correct color.

Then take the torch and very lightly wisk the flame over the plastics to warm them and flow the plastic out. It will bring the shine back some, then simply clear coat it.

I have done entire ATV's this way (front and rear plastics).

Heh.... yup.... too much time......

:cheers:

Back