Solo 665/681 Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tore this saw down this evening in order to send the crank to Falicon. I was also able to verify what @166 told me, that the 665/681 uses different crank bearings than the 7910. This Solo uses much larger 6302 and 6303 bearings, where as the 7910 uses 6202 and 6203 bearing.
I've been told there weak link is there plastic pull starter. We may have to fix that! Lol.

The crank is back.

Crank_1-L.jpg

Crank_2-L.jpg

Lot of weld there, I would not think it takes near that much to do the job.

I don't know if it matters on a single cylinder. I know on my skis I had them true welded and balanced. But the rotating assembly is not balanced together so it's probably a moot point.

I had some 640 high strength sleeve retainer, so that's what I went with. I prepped it with Loctite primer first.

She's all back together with Microblue hybrid ceramic bearings on the Falicon trued and welded crank.

I've also got it setup with a @Poleman carb that he sent me last year. It's one that he drilled at little larger. It seems to be running perfectly.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it in wood until next week somtime. Tomorrow night is a high school graduation. Then Saturday morning we'll be headed 4 hours north to Warren, OH for another high school graduation. Then Sunday we'll be headed over to Findlay for the holiday. Busy, busy, busy. At least it's back together and ready to go.

BTW, the 7910 case gasket and crank seals worked just fine. I installed the much larger 7910 dawgs as well. While the bolt pattern is the same, I did have to make modifications to both dawgs. I had to relieve a decent size are to clear the crank case on the inner, and just a little clearancing on the outer to set down in the slight recess of the clutch cover. They're a huge improvement. @fordf150

She survived the first full tank of fuel. You'll notice a couple times that the idle or throttle response sounds off. That's because I'm having trouble with the L needle not wanting to stay where I set it. I need to order a new grommet from Solo. The original was modded for the RWJ carb and the Dolmar replacement is different. Other than that, it runs great. When tuned right, throttle response is great.

Latest posts

Back