Solo Twin....FINALLY!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Shaun.

Here's where Mike was a few days ago with the parts.
IMG_1750%281%29-L.jpg

IMG_1751%281%29-L.jpg

Hi brad im off today some or all of the parts may be powdered today i got to do some filling on the cover after blasting Ill take pics as a can during the process

Its hard sometimes to visualize how it goes together but i go thru pics u posted to help and to get the parts that get red and black. Because after blasting they all look the same
Brad any idea when the other piece is returning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even if i get these parts done we can do this part even if the others are done just send back all together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it it feasible or even doable to run a hot pass or two, no filler rod, just arc only
and see if the metal finishes out-gassing the contaminates?
Odd as it might seem, we had some repair work on greasy carbon steel
(With No information about what additive package any of the lubes had carried)
and couldn't seem to cook it off with taking it orange heat w/oxy-acetylene
and letting it cool to room temp/bare hand pick-it-up temps.
Something in the back of my head said try running a quick thin pass at a slightly
over volted/hot setting of the mig gun.
That seemed to do the the trick! A bit of cleaning the slightly funky looking specks of slag/scale, light kiss with the sander,
and you were ready to tig on the repair bits.

I never had any chance to try my hand at welding Magnesium..
Got fairly comfortable with the occasional aluminum parts that came through the shop [ probably 60xx alloy mostly]
( counting owner, we were about a 6~8 man, jobshop-machining/fabrication co.)
The power supply was a Lincoln Idealarc 300, so no options for trying any interesting waveforms or duty cycles of them etc.

sheesh that's been a long time, nowdays I cant even recall the percentages of the tri-mix
gas we generally ran on the mig rig [ CO2/Argon/Helium ] Makes for way less spatter.

I routinely run a quick pass over cast aluminum and rebrush before laying a bead. Totally works.

The mag welding I saw above looks different than anything I've watched in the past. Of course, talented people always make things look easier than they are. It looks much less finicky than aluminum and appears to be easier to build up.

Is it it feasible or even doable to run a hot pass or two, no filler rod, just arc only
Something in the back of my head said try running a quick thin pass at a slightly
That seemed to do the the trick! A bit of cleaning the slightly funky looking specks of slag/scale, light kiss with the sander,

Got fairly comfortable with the occasional aluminum parts that came through the shop [ probably 60xx alloy mostly]
The power supply was a Lincoln Idealarc 300, so no options for trying any interesting waveforms or duty cycles of them etc.

sheesh that's been a long time, nowdays I cant even recall the percentages of the tri-mix
gas we generally ran on the mig rig [ CO2/Argon/Helium ] Makes for way less spatter.
Trimix is for stainless MIG. Helium straight or added to Argon is for DCEN aluminum (pure He) or for thicker aluminum than can be done with the Amps you're using.

Should I be sweating about all of the hot or cold rolled, carbon steel that I mud-daubered a bead onto?
Whilst running that mix.

A fellow can ask for info and read up on some things before running a job
and tell himself that he did some reasonable, due diligence "research"
But there's never been anything to beat some honest, hands on time
and a few (hopefully ,very, very few) re-lickings of some workpieces
To truly make a safe & durable product provider, out of a shop worker.

Been busy lately and missed a few things lately. Really looking great Shaun and Brad. If I ever have anything worth the effort I will certainly enlist Shaun's help since I need to visit his shop anyway.

Mike, looking forward to some photos of the powder coating process. You have some powder like the old McCulloch yellow?

My hack paint job on the CP125 is embarrassing compared to this project.

Mark

Mark just need a sample to closely match it being new its going tto be brighter and yellow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When metal is heated to a neutral or aneahile state and a cleaning gas is introduced this is truly the easiest way to clean metal or remove debris. BTW Shaun did not do a good job but an amazing he is truly in the top of his field. Some people just have the knack for it. I am jealous of people that just get it. I had to put a ton of practice to get as good as I am but I guess that just makes me appreciate it more. [emoji57]

Nice job Srcarr.

I see what you mean about Mag welding. Looks ALOT more forgiving than Aluminum.

So pretty much you use the laywire technique on AC?

Which filler rod and how many did you use?

The grinding and shaping look harder than the welding, but then again, that's what happens when you watch anyone whose good at it.

Thanks. Yes, AC with AZ92A filler. The shaping takes patients.

I've done it before and you still end up with some pits, you can reduce the number but you'll never get them all out. On AL or dirty steel it works fine but mag is a different beast. It would probably be better if I had a square wave tig that had AC ballance. Then I could turn up the cleaning action and bring that stuff up to the surface easier, but all I have is an old sine wave tig.

Latest posts

Back