Solo Twin....FINALLY!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it's mag alloy.

If you want to add metal for structural support, it is pretty easy to TIG some in there. If you aren't set up to make the repair, I am sure it will cost only a few bucks if you have a good fab shop close by.

I still vote for leaving the saw as is...

You can reassemble and run it right now. You can also appreciate the story the wear tells. It took 50 years to look this good...nicely used not beat. Plus, if you have to shake some bugs out of it, you don't need to worry about damaging the finish as you pull it back down.

Sorry to see the pistons, Brad. While we all want to see perfect pistons, the truth is, ugly pistons will run just fine. There is a large distance between desirable and servicable. This forum has a tendency to make most automatically assume that a blemished piston is garbage. However, this is just not true.

As always, nice photography.

Sorry to see the pistons, Brad. While we all want to see perfect pistons, the truth is, ugly pistons will run just fine. There is a large distance between desirable and servicable. This forum has a tendency to make most automatically assume that a blemished piston is garbage. However, this is just not true.
It's a different set of rules when working with something this old. If this were a modern saw and parts were really available, I'd definitely replace it. But, as you said, this piston is entirely serviceable and will run just fine.

Are condensers available for these?
The originals would have been Bosch, who ever made those also makes the replacement 070/090 condensers (solder on type) for Stihl.
dsc00316-jpg.394488

They are 18mm in diameter and approx 22mm in height (from rim to base).

I have seen a picture somewhere where you could just about make out a Bosch part number for the Solo Twin condenser to be 1 237 330 03X, I couldn't quite make out the last digit. The Stihl condensers (at some point in time) had Bosch part number 1 237 330 035.

I wonder if they interchange/are compatible?

Good luck with the rebuild :)

Attachments

• DSC00316.JPG
    DSC00316.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 582
Brad, this is an amazing old saw and a great project. Do you consider this a clamshell motor design and have you ever seen an earlier one ? Is this the mother of clamshells ?

The originals would have been Bosch, who ever made those also makes the replacement 070/090 condensers (solder on type) for Stihl.
dsc00316-jpg.394488

I have seen a picture somewhere where you could just about make out a Bosch part number for the Solo Twin condenser to be 1 237 330 03X, I couldn't quite make out the last digit. The Stihl condensers (at some point in time) had Bosch part number 1 237 330 035.

http://www.partsreloaded.com/Snowmo...Rotax-Short?gclid=CIO0oqX3k8MCFRSAaQod54IAMw&

They look very simaler to the ones in a 041.

dsc00316-jpg.394488

I skipped a couple pages in the middle, so apologies if this has already been asked: why did the twin piston concept die out? Was it a weight issue? Issues with timing?

Congrats man, those are really unique. Nothing screams like a built banshee, a saw with a twin piston engine is definitely high on the fun factor.

Nice job Brad, No wonder that thing didn't run. Sure glad
i didn't go any farther than i did when in my possesion.
I knew it had some issues but nothing like this. This will
inspire me to get mine running. May even take it down as
far as this saw.

Lee

Latest posts

Back