Solo white pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here's another rec climbing video, this time in eastern Mass. You might find some of the technical stuff interesting, did an SRT entry on a cinched 150' Tachyon using a simplified Tree Frog and then switched over to alt lanyard/DRT to go up to the top.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3TTbqTJ3Wc

Note on white pines: some people ask me why I'll climb a species that is so covered with pitch. The answer is that most of the white pine growing woods has very little sap on the bark. The ones that do are in exposed positions where they suffer branch break during winter storms. Even then wearing smurf gloves and using rope sleeves keeps pitch contact to a minimum.
-moss

Last edited:
That's my cup of tea in a tree. :) I enjoyed that moss, thanks. I almost hooked up with that conduit but I need to remember to try again. As you know I also like to climb white pines. I have never have a problem with the pitch either.

I was frustrated last night when I got three throw balls stuck and used the daylight trying to set the line. I was trying to climb a red ash to finish a cabling job I started a while back. First thing next weekend I'll be climbing to rescue my throw balls. Crazy huh?

I was frustrated last night when I got three throw balls stuck and used the daylight trying to set the line. I was trying to climb a red ash to finish a cabling job I started a while back. First thing next weekend I'll be climbing to rescue my throw balls. Crazy huh?

It's in the air lately, I got all of the throwline and throwbags that I carry hung in a red oak in the woods in the rain and wind on Sunday, haven't done that in awhile. Used a rock tied on the other and of a hung throwline to finally get a rope in the tree and retrieve the stuck stuff. Rescuing stuck gear has been an important part of my climbing education, makes you go places in the tree you wouldn't normally consider.
-moss

Rescuing stuck gear has been an important part of my climbing education, makes you go places in the tree you wouldn't normally consider.
-moss

As will be the case next Saturday when I get back to that red ash. I think I'll bring the pole saw and save myself some agony.

Rescuing stuck gear has been an important part of my climbing education, makes you go places in the tree you wouldn't normally consider.

:agree2:Yup, I couldn't agree more.

Great video, I enjoyed watching it.

I've got a question for you concerning how you descend. You've mentioned several places and I can see in your videos how you attach your hitch to your legstrap D. This gets your hitch nice and low, but seems to leave no room for any kind of descender. I generally use the pear to attach, and put my descender on the legstrap D. Do you descend on the hitch then? Or you re-rig before descending? None of your videos (that I've found) really show your descent method very well.

BTW, I also like to notice numbers, and your next post will be 667.....

I've got a question for you concerning how you descend. You've mentioned several places and I can see in your videos how you attach your hitch to your legstrap D. This gets your hitch nice and low, but seems to leave no room for any kind of descender. I generally use the pear to attach, and put my descender on the legstrap D. Do you descend on the hitch then? Or you re-rig before descending? None of your videos (that I've found) really show your descent method very well.

BTW, I also like to notice numbers, and your next post will be 667.....

For SRT I switch over to a Grigri for descent. The Grigri is attached to a biner which is clipped into a swivel on the pear. The swivel helps the Grigri play a little more friendly.

For DRT I descend on the hitch.

Whew, good to get off 666 and on to 667, thanks for pointing that out :)
-moss

For SRT I switch over to a Grigri for descent. The Grigri is attached to a biner which is clipped into a swivel on the pear. The swivel helps the Grigri play a little more friendly.

I agree, I've also found the swivel useful for the grigri.

Ok, that makes some sense with everything else you've posted. I'll use the hitch for short descents, especially in the tree. But for longer descents I've never really liked it that well. How long does your hitch cord last?

Nice little vid, Moss! I like that you take time off from the technical stuff to do a little birding and botanizing. With the Ovenbird singing in the background, that could have been my back yard.

-moss

I always bail on an 8. Saves the prusik.

Started a huge oak climb this week just for fun. Hit the tip first attempt. Went to the truck to retrieve my harness and down came the rain, shoot.

Looking forward to climbing the red ash to rescue my tro bags.

Ok, that makes some sense with everything else you've posted. I'll use the hitch for short descents, especially in the tree. But for longer descents I've never really liked it that well. How long does your hitch cord last?

I'm not a daily climber so my cord lasts a long time, I think my current split tail is at least 6 months old. I use 8mm Beeline, stuff holds up well. I don't burn out of the tree too often and I usually loosen the coils in the hitch slightly for a long descent.
-moss

nice vid. would love to do some rec climbing that way this summer!

We'll be scheduling another BARC climb soon enough, Mihalek has reported some good sized white pines near where we climbed in Northborough. I'd like to make that our next BARC climb. It's just off I-495, depending where you are in Connecticut it could be doable for you.
-moss

I would love to come up, keep me up dated. Heading out to PA tomorrow with my fiancée for a rec climb. I’ll let you know how the climbing is out their when I get back.

Latest posts

Back