Some milling pics from the weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just Curious.
On the starboard side of your truck (RH, AUS drivers side), what is the black air scoop looking thing just before the door ?

No wood like that in PNW.

On the starboard side of your truck (RH, AUS drivers side), what is the black air scoop looking thing just before the door ?

A snorkel for the air intake on the carb. Good for driving with the crocs!

Thanks, interesting information.

Are you allowed to carry a rifle (assume single shot?) nowadays down there?

You can have a rifle in your vehicle, however depending on which state you are in there are different storage requirement on how the rifle must be locked away and must be locked seperate from ammunition. Also not allowed to shoot within certain distance of the road etc

Dont mind me, I dont give a crap about your rifle or snorkle.......
What thickness were you milling that at..inch or mm?? Is that a valuable 'hardwood' in your neck of the woods in that size?? Do you dry the slabs yourself ??What kind of chain are you running??
Looks really nice..
G Vavra

ArtB..you say..
No wood like that in PNW.
The Pacific NW is one of the few remaining places where large timber is still available, maybe your talking the red color but redwood is pretty darn close..just sayin

I have 'red cedar' on my place but not red like the aussie redgum !
And the 'red alder' here is basically white!

I'm also interested in the value of redgum wood, just out of curiousity.
Up until about mid 1980s our 'red alder' was good only for smoking salmon and firewood. Rots easily.
Then when the price of black walnut and such went thru the roof, some furninture and kitchen cab folks found they could pawn off alder with a stain as furniture wood.
A couple of years ago, a good veneer alder log here was going for over 1300 USD MBF in log form - hate to think how many $$ of 18 inch (.45 meter) dia clear alder I split and burned as firewood in the 70s and early 80s, over 100 cords for sure!

One more about the crocs - wondering if IyaMan has actually had to drive his vehicle (is that a newer LR? - I might just put a snorkel on my 95) past crocs -- only dangerous wildlife we have to drive thru here is the occasional Sasquatch village or lava flow <G>)

I like that crane on the back of the truck also!

Slabs are cut at 80mm thick or just over 3".
Redgum here is quite a valuable timber, a slab that size once dry will sell for between 3-4K.
We dry the timber ourselves, stacked, sticks red and strapped under cover and left to air dry.
We are currently running stihls 404 full skip full chisel chain 224dl.
The crane is what makes it possible to cut timber that size, one slab weighs over a ton

One more about the crocs - wondering if IyaMan has actually had to drive his vehicle (is that a newer LR? - I might just put a snorkel on my 95) past crocs -- only dangerous wildlife we have to drive thru here is the occasional Sasquatch village or lava flow <G>)

I was just answering the question. Not too many crocs here in Japan, well, except for these...

images

Otherwise, the biggest road danger we have is the elderly suddenly deciding to step out into the street without warning or looking. You'd only need a snorkel if you swerve to miss them and end up in a river.

Back