Some milling pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every tree is like a treasure chest, you never know what you are going to find. Looks good. What are you going to make out of the slabs, and whats your setup (bar and chain)?

No turning back, now. You just need a couple more saws, longer bar, pickup truck... Seriously, thanks for posting. I like those walnut slabs.

I'm milling with a ms660, 36" bar and 3/8th ripping chain. The dark wood is actually a gum tree. I've dumped tons and tons of gum logs over the past few years having no idea they had potential.

Although not ever gum will look that good, no sense in taking them to the dump until you crack them open!?!?!

Scott (welcome to the club-o-millin') B

That sounds like a good setup, how do you like the 660? I considered the 661 and Jonsered 2188 when i was looking for a new milling saw, but ended up with a Jred 2172 because of the lower weight. I'm using a 18" and 25" Stihl bar, with 63 pmx chain from logosol. My project right now is a large birch measuring 40" across.

Early on it's all kind of fun - You learn quick whats firewood & whats not. I have some of that "treasure" in barns now, 20 years at least. Those walnut flitch's look nice, but when that young many will warp & twist beyond whats useable. You can get buried in "treasure" really fast.

Back