Something is off with my MS 660 when I am cutting stumps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its times like these that truely make me glad I have I have my 372 xpw:happy: Btw I have had a 8 pin on it since new and its cut 1500 stumps with plenty power:wtf: A 660 should no doubt keep up with a 372 so plug, coil air filtration :)

You can get just the dual port front cover. Yes you likely will have to retune your saw after installing it.

Sure sounds like something going on with your oiler. Check that the mounting screws are tight. You may have to remove the clutch to access them.

Try washing out around the clutch and oil pump with some brake clean and compressed air. You should probably remove the chain brake cover before this. Once clean, reassemble. Run your saw with the clutch drum on and the clutch engaged for a few seconds. Note that the oil pump only pumps when the clutch is engaged and the drum is turning. In other words rev the saw up a couple times. Remove the chain brake cover and the clutch drum and maybe even the clutch and look for the source of the leak.

Hope this helps.

Its times like these that truely make me glad I have I have my 372 xpw:happy: Btw I have had a 8 pin on it since new and its cut 1500 stumps with plenty power:wtf: A 660 should no doubt keep up with a 372 so plug, coil air filtration :)
No details so its fair to say you run a 48"skip 8 tooth buried or the comparison, 32" full house in the strongest AND hardest fibers like the OP in this case with little knowledge for filing ajustments.
Sounds like other issues also at hand but thats asking a lot of a saw.

No details so its fair to say you run a 48"skip 8 tooth buried or the comparison, 32" full house in the strongest AND hardest fibers like the OP in this case with little knowledge for filing ajustments.
Sounds like other issues also at hand but thats asking a lot of a saw.
Well your right there, mine is 20 inch nice catch but my 395 runs 8 pin and 36 inch full comp in white oak, blackjack, hickory!

I didn't get around to cleaning out around the oiler yet, tho I am probably just going to upgrade to the high output oiler. If anyone has lakeside's pictures from the HO oiler upgrade 3 part post pleaaaase send them to me.

But anyways--

I got into a stump yesterday and the saw was a monster at first. 7 tooth sprocket, sharp chain semi chisel skip tooth , got into the work, wedged like suggested and went nice and easy. about half way through she started to bog, I backed off and kept at it. I was making progress not much but a little, then I noticed it was getting hot again so I backed out. This is after about 3-5 min of cutting.

Everything again was piping hot to the touch. The clutch cover was so hot a bead of sweat dropped of my head hit it and boiled away.

I took it home and went to take it apart. Crap, the clutch cover was seized to the clutch. @#!$%!!! Oh wait, the chain brake is on. (Yes I have so much to learn)

Anyways again there is gunk in the cover. So let me pose a theory to what is going on.

Theory is I have an oil leak around the pump. Saw cuts fine upright, but once I go to cut stumps, with the saw on its side the oil leaks into the clutch cover. The oil causes the clutch to slip in the cover which in turn causes it to bog and cause a **** ton of friction. Also the oil leak causes the bar get hot because it isn't getting enough oil (tho when I test it, I do get oil off the tip of the bar.)

What do you guys think? Plausible?

Also with all that friction and heat should I replace my clutch? or any part on it?

Take your bar wrench and dig out the chips out of the side cover when it starts bogging ,if it is packed it will bog the saw down ,the chips should have a free exit out the bottom of the cover or it will stop the chain from spinning ,when i mill i run into this ,the oil packs the chips together making it block up the cover .If need to pull the saw out and pull the side cover off to clear the chips so be it ,it does not take long .

Most stihl saws have stingy oilers. As long as the bottom of the bar is not glowing bright red, the oiler is doing its job. Stumping close to the ground really heats up the saw and they can smell like they are cooking. Don’t worry about it or crap building up around cover.

Bogging out when the saw is getting hot is not a good sign. At 92cc, your saw should go through a stump like a hot knife through butter. Check your compression. Your saw might need of a set of rings. Also check your max RPM with a tach. If you have the saw adjusted too rich or too lean it could account for the bogging.

We routinely stump with a 372xp with a 24” bar. Longer bars and more powerful saws cost too much money and time to sharpen. Usually try to cut the stump like a bagel (around the outside first then cut the center). Never had a problem with the saw bogging but it is a hot miserable cut and always seems to be the last cut of the day. If you have another saw, try cutting your next stump with it. If you have the same problem(s) with the other saw, it might be your technique.

Good Luck.

Most stihl saws have stingy oilers. As long as the bottom of the bar is not glowing bright red, the oiler is doing its job. Stumping close to the ground really heats up the saw and they can smell like they are cooking. Don’t worry about it or crap building up around cover.

Bogging out when the saw is getting hot is not a good sign. At 92cc, your saw should go through a stump like a hot knife through butter. Check your compression. Your saw might need of a set of rings. Also check your max RPM with a tach. If you have the saw adjusted too rich or too lean it could account for the bogging.

We routinely stump with a 372xp with a 24” bar. Longer bars and more powerful saws cost too much money and time to sharpen. Usually try to cut the stump like a bagel (around the outside first then cut the center). Never had a problem with the saw bogging but it is a hot miserable cut and always seems to be the last cut of the day. If you have another saw, try cutting your next stump with it. If you have the same problem(s) with the other saw, it might be your technique.

Good Luck.
Yeah well I don't cut em low no more :p If they want them low they can pay me to grind :p

Attachments

• stumps.jpg
    stumps.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 19
Remember that when checking for oil coming off the tip of the bar that there is also oil coming off the chain at the drive sprocket as well.

Yeah well I don't cut em low no more :p If they want them low they can pay me to grind :p

Most homeowners want stumps cut flush enough to drive a lawnmower over. Municipalities like them left high so snow plow drivers can see them. Excavator operators like them high to give them something to pull on. Grinders want them below grade. I have even had a couple of folks request a crude chair cut. Don’t really matter as long as it is paying work.

I am using a 660 with a 32" bar for stumping, on very large stumps with large root systems I grind
the roots away first to leave a clean stump to cut, after about 1/3 of the way thru the stump I start
wedges in, back the saw out about an inch every once in a while to clear the chips, make sure oil
and fuel tanks are full b4 starting, I have never had a problem with saw over heating, never start
a stump without a sharp chain, if a lot of dirt, use a brush and blower to clear dirt away....

Bob....:barbecue:

I didn't get around to cleaning out around the oiler yet, tho I am probably just going to upgrade to the high output oiler. If anyone has lakeside's pictures from the HO oiler upgrade 3 part post pleaaaase send them to me.

But anyways--

I got into a stump yesterday and the saw was a monster at first. 7 tooth sprocket, sharp chain semi chisel skip tooth , got into the work, wedged like suggested and went nice and easy. about half way through she started to bog, I backed off and kept at it. I was making progress not much but a little, then I noticed it was getting hot again so I backed out. This is after about 3-5 min of cutting.

Everything again was piping hot to the touch. The clutch cover was so hot a bead of sweat dropped of my head hit it and boiled away.

I took it home and went to take it apart. Crap, the clutch cover was seized to the clutch. @#!$%!!! Oh wait, the chain brake is on. (Yes I have so much to learn)

Anyways again there is gunk in the cover. So let me pose a theory to what is going on.

Theory is I have an oil leak around the pump. Saw cuts fine upright, but once I go to cut stumps, with the saw on its side the oil leaks into the clutch cover. The oil causes the clutch to slip in the cover which in turn causes it to bog and cause a **** ton of friction. Also the oil leak causes the bar get hot because it isn't getting enough oil (tho when I test it, I do get oil off the tip of the bar.)

What do you guys think? Plausible?

Also with all that friction and heat should I replace my clutch? or any part on it?

So you think it bogged then caused fiction..I disagree I think it caused friction and then bogged
But I do think your 'clutch' is slipping...figuratively speaking.:crazy2: lol j/k

Would I put my hand in front of a Crocodile's nose or in your chain ...No

Would I have you hold the trigger down with me holding on to the chain or hold the crocks mouth shut with my hands...yes

You no why? You do know why right? Because this crocs dead and the chainsaws not running.:dizzy: no that's not why because I can without consequences.
OK the croc is a bad example.. That was just for effect
but my point is: Motors and Muscles love momentum

The saw will stop dead under load if it clutches out and not bogg. If you are deep in the cut you will likely have to pull the saw out of the cut and clear it. The bogg down that you are experiencing that Brian explained can be part of the game.
Saws are more ceseptable to plugging when Dogs are in use. To much pressure or jerky action could be a contributing factor as was just mentioned (technique) You should be able to control your revs a bit better; (slang: floating in the cut)
Sometimes you have to file for the majority not only would tree species determine that but angle, amount of cutters in the cut and where the cut is placed (low in the stump)

As far as clutch spring damage,oil and such:

A couple questions for you:

How long dose it take your chain to stop out of the cut when reved....3 1/2 -4 sec should be normal.

If the saw seems to not stop(racing)
Thats an indication of soft springs or missing and the clutch will get dam hot more so on and of the trigger also make sure that brake or something is not dragging. If you have a fast idle and apply the brake while you are warming it you will get that 'clutch smoking also. I saw the pic of the clutch the other day and it wasn't black so no visible signs there. Who is putting your chains together??? Make sure the masters aren't over spun it will be worse going through the 7 T sprocket and will generate heat.
Tight chains generate heat and are hard on 'clutch side Bearings and that's the kicker and one of the first things that came to mind the other day and that was bottom end bearing heating and slowing the saw down. Let's hope not.

I was thinking about it today and bearings came to mind, it's doubtful but could be a lean bog. Crank seal leaking when cuttin horizontal

If you got rid of that 8 pin you wouldn't have to be as precise with the rakers
I disagree but see eyeballing with my grinder I was ending up .50 lol so it was so grabby and kick back prone it was not funny! Now i use feeler guage or raker guide to get first one right and then do them all at that setting. I never end up to low that way :)

Latest posts

Back