Sound off! Saws we love to hate!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Mini Mac 25 that can kiss my :censored:!
I'd love to get it running, but I hate to work on it.
I've had it apart three times, and it needs to come apart again. I stuck it in a box and kicked under the bench.

My parts guy told me the best tech he's ever known has bounced more than one Mini Mac off the wall.
So I know it aint just me.:dizzy:

Mac. eager beaver. Pure junk, but I did get it running, then I did myself a big favor and gave it away!!!

Any pile of parts someone brings me to fix after they've done the "hard part" of breaking it down, then expect that I'm going to fix what they couldn't, for nothing :)

Other than that I love em all :) Doesn't mean I'd own most of them...

I used a 009 as a climbing saw for many years.Never any complaints..The only saw I ever bought that I didn't like was a 575 husky...Not even sure why but I hated it.

my stepdads poulan pro. he thinks it is so awesome. i had my 460 cutting up a tree on the land they live on, and he wanted to race. so i raced him, needless to say he was buried in a pile of chips by me before he even got started. so yeah poulan sucks major monkey b:censored:ll's!!!!!!!

my stepdads poulan pro. he thinks it is so awesome. i had my 460 cutting up a tree on the land they live on, and he wanted to race. so i raced him, needless to say he was buried in a pile of chips by me before he even got started. so yeah poulan sucks major monkey b:censored:ll's!!!!!!!

Well yeah, its stupid to think a 46cc saw will keep up with a 76cc saw. I have a neighbor who brags about his WildThingy alot. I finally got him to race my Super XL in a 20" log. The WildChild choked and bogged its lo-pro chain while the old SXL kept on grunting and throwin chips. He thought his 18" saw was a "big" saw.

I have a Poulan Pro 330 that's a strong runner, it's too bad it is the last of it's kind. The PP295 is an okay saw for the money, but for $200 you can get a decent used 029 or Husky 55.

Well yeah, its stupid to think a 46cc saw will keep up with a 76cc saw. I have a neighbor who brags about his WildThingy alot. I finally got him to race my Super XL in a 20" log. The WildChild choked and bogged its lo-pro chain while the old SXL kept on grunting and throwin chips. He thought his 18" saw was a "big" saw.

I have a Poulan Pro 330 that's a strong runner, it's too bad it is the last of it's kind. The PP295 is an okay saw for the money, but for $200 you can get a decent used 029 or Husky 55.

same way he was wanted to race my 270 to and he still got stomped. super xl nice. always liked the old homelites. oh forgot to mention my saws are muffler modded and the 270 is ported on the exahust side:greenchainsaw:

diss the mini mac?

I have a Mini Mac 25 that can kiss my :censored:!
I'd love to get it running, but I hate to work on it.
I've had it apart three times, and it needs to come apart again. I stuck it in a box and kicked under the bench.

My parts guy told me the best tech he's ever known has bounced more than one Mini Mac off the wall.
So I know it aint just me.:dizzy:

I still have a mini mac 25, and yes it is a little p.o.s. BUT, it is handy, there are times when I gotta hike about a mile in the woods to clear a survey line, 90% of the brush I can clear with a machete, and then there is always one 4" or 6" tree right on the sight line. I fill the old mini mac with a tank of gas, stick it in a back pack, and it earns it's keep on that one tree.

Of course, I usually have to fix it or put it back together once it does the job.
The worst is those darn gas and oil caps,,,,fall (or rattle) right off.

Worst saw I ever owned was one of those Mini Mac things. It vibrated so bad that my hands would go numb in only a couple of minutes of running.
And I agree that pretty much any newer Poulan is a POS! My aunt bought a yellow Poulan Pro a couple of years ago cheap at the local Rural King. Bragged about the "great" deal she got on it. It had to go back to the shop a week after she got it, and it quit running again two weeks later. It's sat on the shelf ever since.............. :buttkick:

The Craftsman junk that I used to run before a friend told me about Dolmar in 1984.
Never bought anything else since... But after reading this forum, I likely will buy a Stihl... and then maybe a Jred, and then maybe a Husky... Anything else out there???

I might fix up a beat up old Mac 110 to trim and climb with. Am I asking for it or should I leave this thing alone.

I still have a mini mac 25, and yes it is a little p.o.s. BUT, it is handy, there are times when I gotta hike about a mile in the woods to clear a survey line, 90% of the brush I can clear with a machete, and then there is always one 4" or 6" tree right on the sight line. I fill the old mini mac with a tank of gas, stick it in a back pack, and it earns it's keep on that one tree.

Of course, I usually have to fix it or put it back together once it does the job.
The worst is those darn gas and oil caps,,,,fall (or rattle) right off.
I was hoping to get it running reliably enough to bring canoe camping down the Delaware river. It's a PITA cutting firewood with a hand saw after paddling all day. It's light and compact, wouldn't even know it was there.
I'll fix the damn thing, I just got to get back to it, maybe I'll figure out what I was missing before.:buttkick:

Homelite 330 is by far the worst sawI ever owned. Never started less tha n 10 pulls. Heavy, under powered and ugly.
ZG

I can almost guarantee you had a bad intake boot. These saws get a bad rap for their intake boot problems, and some had bad boots from the factory! It's not too hard to change the boot, it's a bit of a procedure but nuthin a sharp guy like you can't figure out.

I was hoping to get it running reliably enough to bring canoe camping down the Delaware river. It's a PITA cutting firewood with a hand saw after paddling all day. It's light and compact, wouldn't even know it was there.
I'll fix the damn thing, I just got to get back to it, maybe I'll figure out what I was missing before.:buttkick:

Agreed. I've cut a fair share of wood with a cheap Gerber handsaw in my teen years. And if your canoe flips and it goes in the drink you're not out much, unlike a 200t or something.

I can almost guarantee you had a bad intake boot. These saws get a bad rap for their intake boot problems, and some had bad boots from the factory! It's not too hard to change the boot, it's a bit of a procedure but nuthin a sharp guy like you can't figure out.

I think you are right. I gave the saw to my brother, so I'll probley end up fixing for him, also paying for the parts and the beer.
ZG

I know it was not a PP475, PP505 or a PP655 because u would have not been happy, probably rather PIST!!! I KNOW because I own a ms460 and have owned the PP's that I listed. I won't even start on the actuall GREEN ones like the 5400 for example. I'm not trying to bash you by any means I'm just letting u know that they are out there.
My least favorite saw would be the Echo CS301. I bought 1 new and it had absolutely no power and was not reliable at all. OH YA!! the homelite 150 is the ugliest thing that I ever seen!
OK it's my turn so lets hear it.

Latest posts

Back