Sound off! Saws we love to hate!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the Stihlheads will admit that the 009 is a turd. C'mon!

Also, Mac 110 and the little Homelite XL's/Super 2's. Those mostly cuz of the pesky 1 needle carbs that never seem to be happy and they are a pain to mount a bar and chain on.

I would really like to find a NOS 009. Seriously. Esp. if it is an 009L. Not an 011 or 012, but the 009 is a really cool little saw. You must have gotten someone else's headache, and you base your judgment on a bad example.:monkey:

Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350173634705

With shipping, it approaches what I paid new in 1995 for mine with a 14" bar.

I DO NOT want an 019, 029, or 039, for the record.........

Last edited:
My problem with the Homelite's wasn't the power - it would cut ok but I would be half worn out trying to get it started, it never idled even after a through cleaning.

I worked on an 011 Saturday and I thought that was a turd.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Hmmmm. I might be able to refer you to a competent optometrist.

My 460 husky I bout from a dealer who married in to the family. I new nothing of huskvarrnas, he could have sold me a 390 if he tried. it was supposed replace an 041 super. the only thing it did was become my favorite loner saw. I just wish someone wouldn't return it. To show what junk it is it always comes home.

Just wondering why people don't like the 009?

I've got a 010AV (different handle set-up but basically the same saw with less plastic) and it's a brilliant little saw - reliable, light, reasonably powerful and oh - I can still get bits for it. I've also had an 011AV and an 009 and found them great little saws. The only issue I had with the 009 was the odd handles. Not quite a top-handle and not quite a normal saw either.

I'd welcome opinions....

I've got a 010AV (different handle set-up but basically the same saw with less plastic) and it's a brilliant little saw - reliable, light, reasonably powerful and oh - I can still get bits for it. I've also had an 011AV and an 009 and found them great little saws. The only issue I had with the 009 was the odd handles. Not quite a top-handle and not quite a normal saw either.

I'd welcome opinions....

I can't figure it either.
I had one that was a great little saw. Started easy, ran STRONG, would idle through lunch and never die when you picked it back up.
I loaned it to a buddy and his house burned, along with my 009.
I have another now, in much better cosmetic condition and it is a good solid little saw too.
I sometimes think people buy a lawnmower and then complain when it's not a farm tractor if you know what I mean.

Mike

my disliked saw of choice is the Poulan 2300 CVA. it still runs even though it has been neglected, hated, run like either was no tomorrow even took and extended swim for a week or so one summer. unfortunately didn't slow it down, or speed it up either.

My FIL owns a poulan 3400. it is barely one step better than the above mentioned saw. I have used both for cleaning up fence rows. that it why I still have them or else they would have gone away courtesy of #12 sledge.

Friend of mine had a farm boss he bought as a second saw, cause all the other farmers told him this was the saw. It would barely run when it did, it was at dealer more than his home. Finally after spending more money at dealer, (after warranty) than the saw was new, and a day of drinking, they made a real boat anchor out of it. drained out both tanks fill them with lead for molding bullets, burned a hole with torch near nose of bar for caribiner snap. It is now for the last 5 years an official boat anchor for their duck hunting boat. The best thing about it is that people love it, they have made about a dozen more out of various saws for people.

I inherited a Husqvarna 350 and I thought, "Hey, this is really nice!" It has a nice anti-vibration system and gas and oil cap that actually go on easy and seal!! :)

I'd been fighting with the ol' 600 series McCulloch, the 650/610/605, 3.7cu.in, you people know what I'm talking about I'm sure. It's the one that has those gas and oil caps that tend to cross thread if you aren't real careful.

Little did I know that that this "nice" little saw had a problem keeping the chain on. It will throw a chain faster than you can blink! I must have gone thru 7 or 8 chains before I finally broke down and bought a chain spinner.

I've got the ol' McCulloch running again(It had set too long with gas in it) and compared to Husqvarna 350, it's a dream.

They should put a warning on the 350 Husqvarna. Something like "This is a piece of :censored:"

I'd like to get rid of the Husqi but I'd have to give it away. I couldn't sleep at night if I charged someone for it. The engine looks like it would make a nice power plant for an RC plane. Maybe that's what I'll use it for.

man the 009 bashing hurts. a couple weekends ago i went camping with the 009 and 056 and some buddys. my cousin was running the 056 on 18" oak and i got bored so i fired up the 009 and went at it. no it wasnt nearly as fast but it ripped it up for such a little saw. Long live the 009!

Latest posts

Back