South Fork 2011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I went, I watched. I made a decision that I will be there next year as a competitor. :msp_smile:
I could have some fun here, and I have a few ideas on how not to get :buttkick: to badly.
the final of the "hot saws". Anything that the operator can lug into the arena... kind of leaves it wide open... maybe a APU running on hydrazine?? Has anyone ever considered a powder actuated atarter? Think about timing the engine to a certain point and having a .38 blank that fires into the compression release hole. maybe instant running engine? Maybe pieces everywhere.

Pat

You never know until you try it. ;)
The best thing you can do to keep from getting your :buttkick: is to build that hot saw and practice, practice, practice.
Of corse a good engine, and a fast chain can't hurt either. :laugh:
Maybe I'll get to make it to SF next year too.

Andy

Yea, I know

Me thinks I would leave the bike saws to you guys. I would try the other two contests.
What I really need to do is try practicing on that leaning log thing. 30 years ago would have been easy... Forget the ax throw. forget the chopping, and forget spending that kind of bux on a cross cut saw (but it is more my speed)

Red, guess whom I chatted with? (small world). Larry Jones. Whom happens to be the brother of another gentlemen who I happen to know from Kremmling... a bonified chainsaw nut if there ever was one!

You shouldn't count out the axe throw. I either throw really well, or really poorly. There is no in between for me. When I'm trying for the over all, if I do well I consider the axe throw as gravy points. Sometimes competition's stiff, and then it gets really fun.

Larry Jones is one of the finest men you could ever meet. He's been racing chainsaws for about 40 years. Larry got me started making a decent race chain. He's given me a straight answer to every question I ever asked him about chains. How'd ya like Larry's Husqvarna?

This was the 3rd year in a row I've missed South Fork. :msp_sad: How many competitors did they have?

Andy

might as well keep the gossip going!

Red, there were about a dozen or so folks competing. I really should have gotten involved but fear of jumping into something that I never even seen before.... Ha! I should not be throwing a ax for the same reason I don't throw balls around. Ya never know where it is going to end up :msp_ohmy: Me thinks I could do the plunge cut pretty well, atleast not get laughed to hard at.

It did seem to me that larry had a lot of experience, he was the cool cucumber. I don't think I saw a Husky in his hands. It was a Solo. and quite modified as well. his chain was sharp.... it cut wood. very efficiently, I might add.

Red.... you will be at South fork next year. because I will be there as well. I could use a mentor... :msp_rolleyes:

Hey Kenny,
I missed being at South Fork. Looks like I'm going to miss them all this year. :frown:
Good luck tomorrow at Eagar!!!
PM me your phone #, I'd like to talk to ya.

Andy

Back