Spalted Maple, Oak, Cedar at the Beach Log Dump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Back with the regular crew of buddies to the beach for some milling this morning on another day of great weather.
IMG_4705.JPG

There were some large chunks of spalted maple in the log dump, so we set one of them up.
IMG_4702.JPG

Also a piece of oak that was from the same tree we had previously milled another log from and got some beautiful slabs.
IMG_4704.JPG

And a small piece of Port Orford cedar.
IMG_4703.JPG

First slab off the maple looked promising, then we had to trim the width of the log down since it was too wide for my mill.
IMG_4708.JPG

Once we got into it a bit deeper we saw that the spalting was too far gone, it was mostly soft and punky, and the few solid areas were riddled with bands of punk that followed the grain lines.
IMG_4710.JPG

Oak was a disappointment too, it was full of cracks and knots. We wound up high grading the oak and got a few bowl blanks and a couple partial slabs. It had great dark colour though.
IMG_4709.JPG

The PO Cedar was OK, it was a bit knotty, but most of the knots were in one half of the log so we were able to cut out some clear chunks.
IMG_4707.JPG

In the end we took home 9 bowl blanks and a few partial slabs. Not the most productive day milling, and one of my saws flat out refused to run. But still great to get out on a beautiful warm day in winter. We left way more scrap than we usually do!
IMG_4722.JPG

You don't like knots in the cedar? Would think the knots to add character....

Scott (nice pictorial) B

Looks like a dream I had once....you know actually able to mill! I have a 14 ft 28" stick straight piece of Silver Maple, under 4-6 ft of snow, depending on where you measure. It will be August by the time I get it uncovered!

Point is....Enjoy every minute ! (even the those minutes when you find out your saw isn't working :))

I feel bad for the folks are living through that terrible weather back east. I was in Montreal in the first week of January visiting family, it was freezing cold and miserable at the time, and I don't think it has gone above freezing much in the 6 weeks since then. Monday is calling for a high of -21C in Montreal and the rest of the week is more of the same! So I appreciate that we are having mild weather here that allows me to spend time at the beach milling.

As for the knots in the wood, they do add character but for the most part we are looking for clear wood for cabinetmaking and bowl blanks. Rustic stuff is not what we are looking for, although I appreciate that others do like it.

Latest posts

Back