spark plug confusion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampCat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The neighbor just picked up a TSC Poulan Pro 330. Owners man. said Champion RCJ7Y, factory installed plug is a RCJ4, WHAT GIVES? Sounds like 2 very different plugs. Anybody know the difference?

After looking some more, I believe the manual is shared between the 330 and 380. Am I correct?

The champion listing for the 330 is indeed the CJ4Y and the 380 is CJ6Y which is neither a CJ7Y.

The CJ4 is a colder plug then the others listed.

The neighbor just picked up a TSC Poulan Pro 330. Owners man. said Champion RCJ7Y, factory installed plug is a RCJ4, WHAT GIVES? Sounds like 2 very different plugs. Anybody know the difference?
with champion larger numbers mean hotter plugs and vice versua. This just means heat disapation is better with smaller number, also may lead too fouling.

My PP330 came with a RCJ4. Being a newbie I read the owner’s manual and saw that it recommended a RCJ7Y. I also checked the IPL online and saw the RCJ6Y was spec’d.

I looked at the RCJ4 after some light use and it looked pretty black. The RCJ4 is a really cold recessed tip plug while the RCJ6Y is a slightly hotter extended tip plug. I had an Autolite 2974 which crosses to the RCJ6Y and put it in the saw.

It turns out the H adjustment was on the lean side of maximum speed at WOT. The idle was just right. I adjusted H to be rich and did a few high load cuts, shut it down and looked at the new plug.

How does the plug color look to all you experts out there?

attachment.php

Judging from the looks of that plug, I would say it looks pretty good. On a two stroke it's better to be too rich than too lean. I noticed that the plug has a bit of a chocolate coloring to it which is good, too white/gray would indicate too lean and of course too black would indicate too rich.

Back