Spencer Loggers Tape

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any tape modders on here?

Yup, but they're generally a PITA. They argue endlessly with each other over minor details , make childish accusations, have no sense of humor, conspire endlessly against anyone in competition with them, put forth bold claims with no factual evidence to back them up, have fanatically loyal fan clubs that serve no other purpose than to further dissent, and are eventually replaced by others with similar goals and faults.

Oh wait...tape modders? No, no I don't think so.

Last edited:
I find myself wondering about cutting the tape down, but that would take precision work, and that just isn't me. I'll run a stock tape.

Now, where do I find that army surplus jungle juice? The stuff that was around in the 1970s? :)

Howdy,
I've got a !00' spring on a 75' housing with a 50' filler, and it can measure some cookies fast.
Regards
Gregg

Oh sure...pour salt in the wounds.

Those are my wounds too, you know.

Didn't Bailey's used to put a 66' in a 75' housing? Maybe still do?

The way I usually do it is I tension the 75' spring to come up tight at about 70'. Forestry Nerds only care about multiples of 66'. This way there's 6' of tape wrapped around the hub so you can't walk of the end of it. Rewinds quickly, too. Grande Dog has, of course, described my recipe for a race Spencer. Now I'm gonna have to get creative with bushings and such to stay ahead of the Forestry Nerd game.

I bought one this past July. Dissapointing. It has had the pin that holds the snap fall out..then the entire tip fell off...the tiny rivets came out, letting the clear plastic cover fall down, and the end to drop off. Fixed both of those things..now, the tape is starting to tear right at the end. And I never let it slam back at speed. Even sliced my thumb on it trying to spot that from happening. Bled like a stuck pig.
So, I cut me a nice straight 4' stick from a small moosewood (striped maple), and went back to what works easy and no hassle. And, I'm quicker with the stick too. And it don't drag my jeans down, making be hitch them up every 4 seconds.

Anyone want a slightly used Spencer's tape for 1/2 price?

That's funny. Electrical tape wound tight around the first 10" or so will keep the tape from tearing. I run a 50 footer on each hip. I tried that stick thing once... The problem is you are dragging a ####### stick around all day. Real fun in the brush and not productive when you lose it.

I bought one this past July. Dissapointing. It has had the pin that holds the snap fall out..then the entire tip fell off...the tiny rivets came out, letting the clear plastic cover fall down, and the end to drop off. Fixed both of those things..now, the tape is starting to tear right at the end. And I never let it slam back at speed. Even sliced my thumb on it trying to spot that from happening. Bled like a stuck pig.
So, I cut me a nice straight 4' stick from a small moosewood (striped maple), and went back to what works easy and no hassle. And, I'm quicker with the stick too. And it don't drag my jeans down, making be hitch them up every 4 seconds.

there's these things called spenders... they hold your pants up... just sayin...

The trick with a spencer is to not stuff the nail in so hard that you have to really jerk on it to get it loose, but hard enough that it don't just pop out and smack you in the taint... and stick the nail in the bark, not in the end in wood, bark is more forgiving. And taping the end up makes em last a while.

Slowp...Got my "new" used tape working fine with the reassurances from you that I had the correct intentions. Thanks! Now just need to tape the first 6".

And no Sprong of Doom. Congratulations.

If you ever "walk out of it" in the woods, one can (I've done this) poke a new hole in the end of the tape with a knife and put it back together.

like was said about taping will save them , but i always let the tape run threw my hand to keep the recoil under control . and don't cut my hand up because i wear gloves , gota be smarter than the tool. just sayin.:msp_smile:

Gloves? We don need no stinkin' gloves. I don't think I've ever been cut by running a tape through my bare hand. Control is the answer. Now popped with the nail, yes. But I have both my eyes. :msp_biggrin:

Pay attention when working in rattlesnake country. The nail can get hooked on some bitterbrush without one knowing and then snap loose and "bite" you in the leg causing screaming about "King Zipper got me".
This happened to our crew foreman, who was deathly afraid of snakes and was hilarious. I believe production suffered from the laughing fit.

Gloves? We don need no stinkin' gloves. I don't think I've ever been cut by running a tape through my bare hand. Control is the answer. Now popped with the nail, yes. But I have both my eyes. :msp_biggrin:

Pay attention when working in rattlesnake country. The nail can get hooked on some bitterbrush without one knowing and then snap loose and "bite" you in the leg causing screaming about "King Zipper got me".
This happened to our crew foreman, who was deathly afraid of snakes and was hilarious. I believe production suffered from the laughing fit.

nothin heavy, just knitt gloves. at least when workin a saw. and they don't stink much, they get warshed now and then.:msp_wink:

nothin heavy, just knitt gloves. at least when workin a saw. and they don't stink much, they get warshed now and then.:msp_wink:

Yup, now and then. I just washed that pair you gave me at LaPine. I think that was two years ago. They were getting to the point where the fingers wouldn't bend any more.

You've had some bad luck with that tape. Did anybody explain about using the little nail in the end and not wrapping the tape around the end of the log and tying a knot in it?

It's okay if you want to do that but it plays hell with getting an accurate measurement.

Latest posts

Back