Spent the Morning Among Some Old Growth Red and White Pine....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benp

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
not cutting or scrounging...just pictures. :D

I took my girlfriend to the Lost Forty this morning.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/08/26/minnesota-lost-40

http://ci.northome.mn.us/lost-forty.php

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/detail.html?id=sna01063

This is about an hour from me. I took some pictures with the ipotatoe and some attempts with the panoramic feature.

If you every have a chance to check it out, I highly recommend it. It is really cool.

This is walking into the 40. The panoramic feature boomeranged the road.

Some big Reds on the way in.

Plaque explaining what the Lost Forty is.

On the trail, the old Reds and Whites are pretty much right off of the bat.

Headed down the trail.

The wetlands that it butts up to.

A plaque at another are overlooking the wetlands.

A big popple.

Some big birch.

Some Red Rot.

Had an awesome and my girlfriend loved it. Like I said I highly recommend visiting if for some reason you find yourself in this stretch of woodtickville.

not cutting or scrounging...just pictures. :D

I took my girlfriend to the Lost Forty this morning.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/08/26/minnesota-lost-40

http://ci.northome.mn.us/lost-forty.php

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/detail.html?id=sna01063

This is about an hour from me. I took some pictures with the ipotatoe and some attempts with the panoramic feature.

If you every have a chance to check it out, I highly recommend it. It is really cool.

This is walking into the 40. The panoramic feature boomeranged the road.

Some big Reds on the way in.

Plaque explaining what the Lost Forty is.

On the trail, the old Reds and Whites are pretty much right off of the bat.

Headed down the trail.

The wetlands that it butts up to.

A plaque at another are overlooking the wetlands.

A big popple.

Some big birch.

Some Red Rot.

Had an awesome and my girlfriend loved it. Like I said I highly recommend visiting if for some reason you find yourself in this stretch of woodtickville.
Great photos! I need to get there someday as well.

There are still a few virgin pines around northern MN, ones that were too small to cut when the loggers came through in the early 1900's.

Beautiful pictures. Nice to see woods that are a bit protected and mostly left in their natural state.

I agree.

Like @svk said, there are a few still around but they are random. So it's great to see a bunch in one place that are not going any where.

There are a few huge White Pines down the road from me. They just absolutely stick out and do not belong they are that big. The county even went around one in an effort to leave it. It's all by itself.

Cool forest! I've only seen a few like that, old or older growth big matures.

Zog,

Like svk and I had mentioned, there are a few stragglers here and there up here.

But to have a bunch in their own untouched plot is the truly awesome part.

I know they can't compare to the big trees on the west coast but for Minnesota, it's really cool.

Zog,

Like svk and I had mentioned, there are a few stragglers here and there up here.

But to have a bunch in their own untouched plot is the truly awesome part.

I know they can't compare to the big trees on the west coast but for Minnesota, it's really cool.

Biggest I have seen in an untouched forest setting was a stand of pristine hugemongous old growth cedars, in the northern part of the southern peninsula Michigan, around Manistee/ Ludington I think? something like that, think I was 13.. I wrote an essay and won a week at a wilderness camp when I was a kid, it was near that stand. We had to canoe in around 7 miles to the campsite and some rangers came by and hiked us to the trees. Medium frackin awesome. Like so many other things in my life, wish I had had a camera of some sort with me. Closest to I guess redwoods it gets perhaps, that big. The oak I am cutting up now is the largest full intact tree I have ever cut. I did a larger diameter elm trunk, but the branches were long gone. This one, geez loweez, just came in running a tank out with the 371, that's about it, even using a 24 is silly now, big bars all the way from here.

Some of the fencelines in new england have some whoppers way back in the woods, the old rock wall boundaries, and there's for sure some nice ones wayy back in the mountains here, then down south georgia heading to the swamps.

The largest trees in northern MN/southern Ontario are giant cedars that run 4' plus diameter. There's one spot in the Quetico Provencial Park (Canadian land that abuts the Boundary Waters Canoe Area) about 5 miles into Canada has a pure stand of them. Really need to get up there someday.

Biggest I have seen in an untouched forest setting was a stand of pristine hugemongous old growth cedars, in the northern part of the southern peninsula Michigan, around Manistee/ Ludington I think? something like that, think I was 13.. I wrote an essay and won a week at a wilderness camp when I was a kid, it was near that stand. We had to canoe in around 7 miles to the campsite and some rangers came by and hiked us to the trees. Medium frackin awesome. Like so many other things in my life, wish I had had a camera of some sort with me. Closest to I guess redwoods it gets perhaps, that big. The oak I am cutting up now is the largest full intact tree I have ever cut. I did a larger diameter elm trunk, but the branches were long gone. This one, geez loweez, just came in running a tank out with the 371, that's about it, even using a 24 is silly now, big bars all the way from here.

Some of the fencelines in new england have some whoppers way back in the woods, the old rock wall boundaries, and there's for sure some nice ones wayy back in the mountains here, then down south georgia heading to the swamps.

The largest trees in northern MN/southern Ontario are giant cedars that run 4' plus diameter. There's one spot in the Quetico Provencial Park (Canadian land that abuts the Boundary Waters Canoe Area) about 5 miles into Canada has a pure stand of them. Really need to get up there someday.

That would be awesome to see those giant Cedars.

We have some big ones in a couple hidden sections/swamps around here...but not Holy Cow thats massive "big."

Zog,

I bet you are happy to have the 394 back since you are dealing with that big oak.

can never be too safe...what if that puddle they jump into turns out to be a sink hole?? bet you didn't think about that, did you?

Nope! Sure didn't. I think I'll go get my own lifejacket on now.

guy-jumps-in-puddle-o.gif

The red pine plantations that date back to the CCC days are all dead or living on borrowed time around here -- Red Pine Scale which was around in Connecticut since the 40s but for some reason during the last 20 years exploded to be statewide and to the rest of New England.

Multiple -10 below days each winter can keep it in check, and I think most of the native range of red pines they'll be protected by that. We don't get that cold, that consistently around here.

It's cool when you see a hill top and see a White Pine or two towering a good 40' above the full sized Oaks and other hardwoods!

Historically (like colonial days) most of our really big pines grew in hollows where they had adequate water and protection from hurricanes and other severe wind storms.

The red pine plantations that date back to the CCC days are all dead or living on borrowed time around here -- Red Pine Scale which was around in Connecticut since the 40s but for some reason during the last 20 years exploded to be statewide and to the rest of New England.

Multiple -10 below days each winter can keep it in check, and I think most of the native range of red pines they'll be protected by that. We don't get that cold, that consistently around here.

It's cool when you see a hill top and see a White Pine or two towering a good 40' above the full sized Oaks and other hardwoods!

Historically (like colonial days) most of our really big pines grew in hollows where they had adequate water and protection from hurricanes and other severe wind storms.

Wish I could remember the name of the place, but too long ago. In salem, mass, there's a warehouse that has 24 inch beams that are real dang long, goes back to colonial times. There were some whopper big trees on the east coast back then.

The red pines up here are thriving but we get well below -10 each winter.

Our white pines have fought blister rust but I haven't seen as many dead in the last few years.

Latest posts

Back