Spider living where I want to stack some wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all - Want to stack some wood under the covered porch and ran into this guy anyone know what species he is?

Not precisely, but looks like a run of the mill house/barn spider. If you want to cut way down on your spider count, spray with Tempo. It's safe around people and animals. Long lasting. We use it in the woodshed and anywhere we store wood indoors. It's not cheap, but very effective. If you want an immediate kill, hit 'em with wasp spray.

Hmmm we rarely kill spiders at my place and we got plenty. I did find this huge one a couple of weeks ago and got the kids (three boys) we placed him in a web freshly build by a much much smaller cousin, let the standoff begin.
The little guy stared at the bigger one for a but (figuring) and then made a run for the feet, tied the toes up first (do spiders have toes?) and then just run around the bigger one and the web comming outta his thingy was 1/4" wide, like multiple strands at once... In a couple of seconds he had the biggest meal of his life.

That is the only spider I have killed in the recent past:msp_smile:

Hi all - Want to stack some wood under the covered porch and ran into this guy anyone know what species he is?

Make real sure you know what kind of spider you're dealing with. This came from a Hobo spider, a cousin to the Brown Recluse.

PA020051.jpg

Make real sure you know what kind of spider you're dealing with. This came from a Hobo spider, a cousin to the Brown Recluse.

They're nasty. We have Brown Recluse spiders here. Spraying with Tempo keeps them pretty much under control. No one bitten so far. A bite from one of those has pretty much the same result.

Very helpful, I as a rule do not like to kill spiders or bats, or bees as I find they are helpful predators and have an important roll to play in our eco system. Thank you all for the replies.

On another note I cleaned the stack and the old VC Encore out yesterday including a good vac job on the Cat. It had about 1-1/2 or 2 cups of creosote in the stack and quite a bit of fly ash in the Cat. I wadded up some newspaper, about 10 pieces of my starter (100+ year old lath) I saved from my last remodel project and some small rounds in the stove so when the house cools off this week one strike of a match and I am in business. Here in south central WI. highs in the 60's during the day low in the 40's at nite. Making a batch of spicey chili too. :clap: Best time of the year!

Bub

They're nasty. We have Brown Recluse spiders here. Spraying with Tempo keeps them pretty much under control. No one bitten so far. A bite from one of those has pretty much the same result.

Your right Mac, I think this little feller has to go. Not worth taking a chance. I will look for some Tempo at the Hardware Store.

Your right Mac, I think this little feller has to go. Not worth taking a chance. I will look for some Tempo at the Hardware Store.

We get it at the local farm supply. Tractor Supply might carry it. Like I mentioned, if you want "instant kill", just use wasp spray. Tempo is for long term treatment.

That looks like a common orb spider (one of them). I would just catch it and move it out to the woods or something. We have those around the house and garden, bunches.

What we have a lot of is black widows, tons of them too. They really don't want to move fast or far, I work around them all the time. And they have unique webs, filaments/threads going a lot of different directions, easy to spot. About once a month I have to wash them out o the inside of the doghouses. Every time you go to slide under a truck to work on it, black widows. I just don't bother with them. I I ever get bit, charcoal and colloidal silver. Charcoal to absorb toxins, colloidal silver to kill germs, keep irrigating and alternating (disclaimer:for amusement and research purposes only, be sure to consult with a qualified profe$$ional).

Reaction to toxins is such a wide variation there is no one size fits all treatment, some people, one bee sting is enough, others can take a lot more. Lot of folks who have worked with snakes have taken numerous snakebits without much harm, others would go into shock, especially rom young snakes. And then you might get the rot to set in.

That spider bite pic is an example of that rot, necrosis, here is a writeup on it

Necrosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Appears to me to be a specimen from the species Biter Hardacus. Its name is derived from the Latin meaning Ouch.

Latest posts

Back