ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Spiral Splitting Wedges

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by JimmyT, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JimmyT

JimmyT AboristSite Guru

Has anyone used spiral or twisted splitting wedges to quarter large rounds? I've used the traditional straight wedges for years and wondered if the spiral wedges worked any better.They seem to be more popular in Europe. At $39.50 each I was hoping they would split the round without me and the sledge hammer being involved. Spiral Splitting Wedge - Lee Valley Tools

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Deprime

Deprime ArboristSite Operative

I've never seen one before. It will be interesting to hear how they work if anyone has tried one.

flushcut likes this.
  3. JimmyT

JimmyT AboristSite Guru

4. GeoffM

GeoffM ArboristSite Operative

I bought one a couple of years ago, but after a couple of uses it tends to be left in the shed with the other wedges. They do work ,but in my opinion not any better than a straight wedge. I just tend to cut into big rounds with the saw and then they split easy enough with a fiskars axe. Just my opinion.
    geoff.

:cheers:

5. 9050lx

9050lx ArboristSite Member

I just split some red oak 24 inch dia. X 24 inch long rounds by noodling just far enough to apply a wedge, then making the initial split with the wedge and a 3lb hand sledge hammer.Works great and you dont expend a lot of needless energy.Dont forget to grind off the mushrooming wedge area so you arent shooting shrapnel at yourself.The rest of the wood splits easy enough with the X27 once the round has that first split created.

6. Evanrude

Evanrude Addicted to ArboristSite

I like these wedges. Best one I've used yet. Granted, I have limited experience in using them. I'm with Geoff, I usually just noodle them down then split with the Fiskars.

7. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

8. JimmyT

JimmyT AboristSite Guru

CentaurG2, just watched the Lasco Stump Screw video and that's one mean splitter.

9. JimmyT

JimmyT AboristSite Guru

I watched a video on Charlie's Wood Splitter several years ago. It's a big screw that fits on a electric or pneumatic impact wrench.Charlie's Wood Splitter