Split Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guardbum115

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, first post here on Arborisite. I have what I believe is a white oak that has a split from the base about as far up as I can see, not sure how this happened but I did not notice the split all the way to the top until fall last year. This is a big ol girl, I'm guessing at least 60 ft worth. Took a couple of pics for everyone. I'm guessing she is as dead as disco or at least will only have a bit of vegetation at the top this spring.

So two things: Tell me what may have happened to this big ol tree and tell me if it's dead already?
Thanks,
GB

20170130_174227.jpg20170130_174232.jpg 20170130_174237.jpg

+1
You've got some dead branches, but I don't think the tree is dead. It looks like the strike happened a while ago and the tree has sealed over the scar. It looks like the tree was scarred under the bark, and has taken the bark a while to fall off.

So is it just a matter of time before it does die because of the split? I can't imagine that having that much exposure to bugs/pests etc. would be anything but bad for it. My original thought was to drop it and mill it up before it started to rot. I have quite a few more large oaks and many more half the age of this one also in close proximity so it's not like there won't be anything to replace it, if that makes sense. I'm also not thrilled about having a tree in by backyard that is slowly falling apart, hate to run the risk of that dead stuff smacking someone or something. I don't know, give me your thoughts on what you'd do with it.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind and looking for confirmation.

It just a matter of time before anything dies. The tree will not die due to the split. The split may stress the tree to the point where it cannot defend itself to pathogens (fungus/insects).

Did the tree leaf out properly last year?

I don't see a lot of dead material in the upper canopy (although tough to tell from the pics), so with some deadwood pruning, that tree can survive for many years.

There's a couple of trees behind the fence that should be assessed as well.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind and looking for confirmation.

It just a matter of time before anything dies. The tree will not die due to the split. The split may stress the tree to the point where it cannot defend itself to pathogens (fungus/insects).

Did the tree leaf out properly last year?

I don't see a lot of dead material in the upper canopy (although tough to tell from the pics), so with some deadwood pruning, that tree can survive for many years.

There's a couple of trees behind the fence that should be assessed as well.

I believe only the very top leafed out last year.
Yes the hedge in the background will come down probably next year.

That ain't oak, and it ain't split> lightening just blew the bark off that strip on it's way to the ground. I am betting it is walnut and they have dead branches like that on them all the time, they are just nasty trees

Latest posts

Back