Splitter identification assistance....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texican65

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there. I bought this machine a few days ago, its branded Montgomery Wards, so its got to be at least 20+ years old...I think they've been gone at least that long. I thought it was a Didier, but after researching, I'm not so sure. Its got a 5hp Briggs & Stratton, 10 1/2 ton capability. I've been splitting the knottiest pine that I have and the splitter has blasted it all apart so far....any idea who made this thing?

Thanks very much,

Dow

IMG_2200.jpg IMG_2203.jpg IMG_2205.jpg

Hi there. I bought this machine a few days ago, its branded Montgomery Wards, so its got to be at least 20+ years old...I think they've been gone at least that long. I thought it was a Didier, but after researching, I'm not so sure. Its got a 5hp Briggs & Stratton, 10 1/2 ton capability. I've been splitting the knottiest pine that I have and the splitter has blasted it all apart so far....any idea who made this thing?

Thanks very much,

Dow

View attachment 584601 View attachment 584602 View attachment 584603
i had a monkey wards similar to that back in the 90's. had a tecumseh 5 hp motor on it. i recall it was around 10 ton. split lots of wood with it till the weld cracked around the back end of the cylinder. not sure who made them for MW. Maybe you can stihl get parts.:rolleyes:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...aSMnkFf7_hoSzds8FWn1oHK_W9JKrxv4aAo2uEALw_wcB

Thanks Steve. It's heavy, but I can lift it all by myself into the bed of my '89 ranger, it's very convenient to transport. Says it takes mercon II ATF for the reservoir, I'll probably do a lube job on it before any serious work...any idea if it really matters what mercon to use.... I, II, III?

Dow

Thanks Steve. It's heavy, but I can lift it all by myself into the bed of my '89 ranger, it's very convenient to transport. Says it takes mercon II ATF for the reservoir, I'll probably do a lube job on it before any serious work...any idea if it really matters what mercon to use.... I, II, III?

Dow
i'd go with the II but then i'm a stickler on specs. looks like it was never used much.

Just use AW32 or 303, it's cheaper. No reason to use transmission oil.

Dextron 2 hasn't been made in many years, was phased out about 25 years ago.

I'm assuming the fluid inside the reservoir is old dexron II, its red like I figure it ought to be. Changing the engine oil to-morrow....is there any need to really drain and replace the reservoir fluid? does that stuff burn up or go bad over time...I would think it does..after 20+ years? Maybe not? And.....is it ok to introduce a newer synthetic to the system with residual conventional oil in there?

Thanks,

Dow

Aw32 isn't synthetic... well unless you want to pay $20+ a gallon for the fancy stuff. My processor was filled with trans oil from the builder, I've always refilled with Aw32 or 303, whatever is cheaper. A gear pump isn't too fussy.

A 5 gal pail runs about $45 here. We usually try to wait for sales and buy a few dozen pails. It doesn't last too long with heavy equipment. Blow a hose and can easily lose 20-30 gals.

On that splitter, I'd drain the oil. It probably only holds 2 or 3 gallons.

Welp...I got the engine oil and the hydro fluid changed also. Since i didn't have a manual, just had to fill the engine oil the old fashioned way...until it just about overflowed. 20 ounces, SAE 30. The old oil was very dirty. And the hydro fluid was dirty too. I had about 2 gallons of ATF in my garage from a tranny job I never got to on a car I sold a few years ago, so I just ended up dumping that in it, dexron III, only had to buy 2 additional quarts to make up for fluid I didn't have. Works like a champ!!!! I'm very happy to have this splitter. It goes great with my '67 John Deere 110, I can tote it anywhere I want on my property easily.

Dow

IMG_2248.jpg

I had one almost exactly like yours, sold it a year ago. I also thought it was a didier but couldn't verify and all the pics I found didn't quite match. The briggs developed a sudden rod knock one day and I replaced it with a predator engine. Probably the best $150 I spent. I do miss the machine as it was very easy to wheel around even by hand and it would split about anything I fed it. Cons for me was it was too low to the ground and slow compared to my lickity. Does the return feature work ok on yours?

Cool Joe. What's the -08 and -10...engine HP?

Ya splitta...that's I feel about mine too, looks almost just like a didier, but not quite right...the Briggs is hummin' along fine for now. It is lower and slower than all my buddies newer splitters, but it's much quicker and easier than my fiskars X27 splitting axe. Yes the return feature works just fine too.

Old thread but angyhoo....The ATF will work better if doing cold weather splitting as it is more of a multi viscosity oil. That is it pumps better at all temps than a single weight hydraulic oil. The hydraulic oil, especially AW32, will be slow in sub freezing weather until it gets warmed up. Since I split in the winter and it can easily be single digits and colder I run a multi weight hydraulic oil from a farm supply store. Buying it by the 5 gallon pail netted a little better pricing than ATF.

Latest posts

Back