Splitter motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logger nate

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well going to the dark side and getting a splitter, have the opportunity to get into selling wood to local camp ground, about 10-15 cord a year so looking at the DHT 22 ton just not sure which motor, can get one with Loncin motor for about $100 less than the kohler motor, is the kohler really worth $100 more?

My guess would be the "kohler" will have plastic timming gears and camshaft. It will not be the "quality" Kohler you have read about in history books. . .It will be the Obama version of "Kohler" . . . figure it out. . . Save your money for beer and medical marijuana.

Ya... that's kinda what I have been hearing that kohler isn't what it used to be, not really much better than the Loncin. Just kinda paying for the name now. But I figured I'd ask the good folks here that really know;).

I just installed a Predator 212 cc, 6.5 Hp motor on my splitter and replaced the worn out Briggs 5 Hp that was burning oil and using lots of gasoline. The Predator is far more fuel efficient and has more power to boot. And, it's easier to start, has low-oil shut off, etc. A best buy in my book, I've been told that it's a Honda knock off.

My guess would be the "kohler" will have plastic timming gears and camshaft. It will not be the "quality" Kohler you have read about in history books. . .It will be the Obama version of "Kohler" . . . figure it out. . . Save your money for beer and medical marijuana.

I just TIG welded a 20hp Kohler that cracked the case near the timing gear and into the pushrod hole. Still ran fine, just leaked out badly.

Only 125hrs on it, tractor looks brand new.

I suppose Kohler will have more parts available. The Jin Jang Chon Wong Long Dong motors are hit and miss for parts. We replaced one on a conveyor this spring, it needed all the recoil bits and a coil. Parts were close to the $129 for a brand new engine.

I just installed a Predator 212 cc, 6.5 Hp motor on my splitter and replaced the worn out Briggs 5 Hp that was burning oil and using lots of gasoline. The Predator is far more fuel efficient and has more power to boot. And, it's easier to start, has low-oil shut off, etc. A best buy in my book, I've been told that it's a Honda knock off.
I have several predator engines around. They run great and seem to last. Great motors for what you pay for them.

I started and ran it today again for the fourth time. It has lots of power, idles perfectly, easy to start, very good on fuel consumption, and I split a cord of wood with it. I have no complaints. This engine is a keeper. Two thumbs up!
I hope you had cooler weather where you are at friend. It definitely weren't wood splittin weather here today. About 90 degrees and lots of sun

The
I hope you had cooler weather where you are at friend. It definitely weren't wood splittin weather here today. About 90 degrees and lots of sun
The morning was OK. Then the rain and humidity accelerated. Sun came out and the the 90-degree temps moved in. That's when I quit. This is the worst summer weather we have seen in some time. I can't work in a sauna bath.

I figure that sunrise to 11 am is about all I can stand. Several of my friends have suffered from heat exhaustion. There has to be a breeze and lately, that's been scarce.

Yep in the 90's yesterday and yep I was out splitting. But lots of water and took breaks. And the wife said I'm nuts I almost said you married me but decided to shut up for once

Latest posts

Back