splitter tonnage ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mntn Man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My Huskee splitter claims to be a 22 ton. Well I did a little math and at 2800 psi it would generate 44,000 pounds of force, but would take a 5 inch cylinder. It has a 4 inch from the factory. With the 4, I figure just over 35,000 pounds of force at 2800. I don't believe it would generate over 3000 psi so what gives? Does anyone know what the preset pressure is on these from the factory?

Thanks,

Mntn Man

all but the high end splitter companies lie...

if you want to see a chart on actual tonnage.. look up timberwolf's chart. than match up motor size, cylinder diameter and GPM

for instance.. Huskee's 35 ton model with similar spec's on Timberwolf TW5 (much faster cycle times) is listed at 25 tons. now which do you choose to belief...

22 ton tonnage calculation

The valve that Speeco uses for the 22ton unit has the bypass pressure set at between 3400 and 3500 psi. This produces 21.4-22.7 tons. The unit is called a 22t as that falls in the middle of the range. The pump engine combination will achieve that amount of pressure but not for an extended period of time.

From every thread I've read here, and on other forums........ I'd have to agree that in general, the manufacturers are a bit optomistic with their ratings.

From every thread I've read here, and on other forums........ I'd have to agree that in general, the manufacturers are a bit optomistic with their ratings.

So wait, what your telling us is...
They LIE about there SIZE, nobody does that!:)

please note in no way shape or form an I saying anything negative about Speeco. those folks make an excellent product that's backed up with one of best customer service anywhere!!!

butttt..... almost all splitter mfgs play the who can post the highest ratings game. to me it's a marketing thing... which has little to nothing to with quality of product or service.

QUOTE=climbersteve;1393001]The valve that Speeco uses for the 22ton unit has the bypass pressure set at between 3400 and 3500 psi. This produces 21.4-22.7 tons. The unit is called a 22t as that falls in the middle of the range. The pump engine combination will achieve that amount of pressure but not for an extended period of time.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me where to find that official number of 3400psi setting????
I have never seen a logsplitter with official setting over 3000psi.
3000psi/200bar is a pressure level most part manufacturers for logsplitters dont exceed.

Over rating on logsplitters is very common, both on splitting force and cycle time.....see my thread/post 6 months ago

pressure and cycle time,3400psi valve

The valve most people use is a Energy or something similar. The pressure is set at 3400psi by them per manufacturers specifications. Splitters can run a higher pressure without going to extra heavy duty components since in normal splitting the high pressure is rarely and briefly reached.

The cycle time is a combination of the pump and cylinder size. If you have a high GPM pump and a small cylinder you will get a fast cycle time of course you need a engine of sufficient size to power the larger pump.

Valve bypass pressure controls the max psi the pump produces, again to achieve a high pressure you need a sufficient engine to power the pump up to a high pressure.

The real question is what are your plans for that 22 ton, how much wood do you plan on splitting.

22 ton Husky do well around here, little trouble with the really snotty larger hardwood round but almost everything does. Run you about $1100, running descent gas and clean oils should last a long time.

They run an horizontal American at work, nice machine, descent power(honda 8hp) & cycle time. I like that the axel is not a storage jug for hydro fluid, just seems too easy to damage in the woods (personaly just don't like that feature).

I was of the impression that that 22T Husky was 2500PSI on when it shuttled although I have not seen a pressure gauge on one. However I do have an interesting comparison. Both me and my neighbor have identical Speeco units (22T model) only difference is his is stand alone powered and mine is tractor powered through a Prince PTO pump. Both of us have spent a considerable amount of time running both machines. Even though mine is single stage set for about 1800PSI there is no doubt I can split through tougher wood than he can. I know thats a hard thing to quantify scientifically but his will bare down on tough stuff and many times stop. Mine rarely gets stopped. He might indeed have more splitting force with higher pressure but I really feel the almost 3x's faster speed is what carry's me through.

The valve most people use is a Energy or something similar. The pressure is set at 3400psi by them per manufacturers specifications. Splitters can run a higher pressure without going to extra heavy duty components since in normal splitting the high pressure is rarely and briefly reached.

The cycle time is a combination of the pump and cylinder size. If you have a high GPM pump and a small cylinder you will get a fast cycle time of course you need a engine of sufficient size to power the larger pump.

Valve bypass pressure controls the max psi the pump produces, again to achieve a high pressure you need a sufficient engine to power the pump up to a high pressure.

But still you can't provide a link to a site that backs up your statement? 3400psi?, Energy valve? :givebeer:

if haldex pump limits are 3,000 psi... there's no way any mfg would set at max. I'd believe something closer to 2,500 psi, which with my 5in cylinder... which is 25 ton range vs 35 ton advertised.

looks like a pressure gauge is need to settle this. regardless of what readings ends up being... my 35ton speeco has not met a round it round it's couldn't split. this includes 4ft+ knotty oaks!!!

in fact most 22ton speeco owners report seldom do they run into any rounds they can't tackle. so to me this rating thing is purely market hype driven!!!

most brand new perspective splitter buyers don't have a clue on what to look for. unless they ask here on AS before purchasing. then they find out... ignore tonnage... go by pump gpm, engine HP, cylinder diameter, cycle times and size of main beam.

Haldex/Barnes 2-stage pumps factory specs 3000 psi max.

http://www.haldex.com/en/North-Amer...Hydraulic-Gear-Pumps/Two-Stage-HighLow-Pumps/

Prince log splitter valve LS 3000 max. design pressure 2750 psi. Page V53

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/Valves.pdf

Energy log splitter valves factory max. rating 2500 psi. Page 2

http://www.energymfg.com/pdf/broch_hydraulicvalve.pdf

Last edited:
american is an awesome splitter

The real question is what are your plans for that 22 ton, how much wood do you plan on splitting.

22 ton Husky do well around here, little trouble with the really snotty larger hardwood round but almost everything does. Run you about $1100, running descent gas and clean oils should last a long time.

They run an horizontal American at work, nice machine, descent power(honda 8hp) & cycle time. I like that the axel is not a storage jug for hydro fluid, just seems too easy to damage in the woods (personaly just don't like that feature).

i have the 5.5 Honda and it is impressive.blows my buddies Husky 22 ton out of the water.one of the main features that sold me was the hydro tank.i have welded several for people.the 13" wheels and tires were another selling point with the American.

if you tow the ones with the axle/tank combos a lot,you will be getting constant cracks.they do not handle the bouncing while traveling.

Something else to remember about ratings. Individual component ratings aren't necessarily whats happening on the whole unit. Just because you have a certain GPM pump doesn't mean that is actual output on your machine. Speeco told me once on the phone what the actual specs were for the 22T model. Example being an 11gpm pump means that is its design limit, but on the 22T splitter its somewhat less than that depending on max governed engine speed. Pressure is what ever the valve is set for not what the components are limited to.

i have the 5.5 Honda and it is impressive.blows my buddies Husky 22 ton out of the water.one of the main features that sold me was the hydro tank.i have welded several for people.the 13" wheels and tires were another selling point with the American.

Agree that the 5.5 American is a great machine all around, How much did that run U new? If I was to purchase a splitter, American splitter is on my list of interest.

if you tow the ones with the axle/tank combos a lot,you will be getting constant cracks.they do not handle the bouncing while traveling.

If U don't move your operation much (are more of a couple dozen cord -home use deal), a Husky 22 for the price it will do the job, with a FarmBoss or Rancher.

Keep my eye's pealed for a deal, just haven't found the right wood destroyer/splitter. Let's face it I almost picked up a MTD 27 ton for $300 (needed work- motor, pump, valves hoses, etc), would have spent alittle and upgraded it and been a fun project. Didn't like the axle /tank combo, or where the hydro filter was located. Seen an add for a 37 ton splitter for $1200, don't like the way it is set up (axel/tank etc.).

totally agree American makes a top quality splitter!!!
if you've got the $$$$... can't go wrong with American or Timberwolf.

but you'd better budget 2x-3x the $$$..
betcha the American 5.5hp will run ya... $2k+ vs similar spec's Speeco for $1100.

my take is if someone going to get a low end splitter. then go for the max bang for $$$. otherwise go high end with American or Timberwolf.

sounds strange... but wouldn't consider a $2k American entry splitter. but would consider $5-$6k for a high end American or Timberwolf.

what I'll end up doing is ... when the right deal comes along for a used TW-5... then I'll jump on it. for me the main problem has been $1k+ transportation charges. as all the super nice used Timberwolf/American splitters seems to pop up on the east coast.

Agree that the 5.5 American is a great machine all around, How much did that run U new? If I was to purchase a splitter, American splitter is on my list of interest.

If U don't move your operation much (are more of a couple dozen cord -home use deal), a Husky 22 for the price it will do the job, with a FarmBoss or Rancher.

Keep my eye's pealed for a deal, just haven't found the right wood destroyer/splitter. Let's face it I almost picked up a MTD 27 ton for $300 (needed work- motor, pump, valves hoses, etc), would have spent alittle and upgraded it and been a fun project. Didn't like the axle /tank combo, or where the hydro filter was located. Seen an add for a 37 ton splitter for $1200, don't like the way it is set up (axel/tank etc.).

mine is listed here in the Tradin' post.

under firewood processing equipment.i think i paid about $2800 with tax,4 way and pans.PM me for a dealer who will hook you up in Brooklyn CT.i wish i bought mine from him but i was in a hurry.don't buy it from the dealer in Bolton.

Back