splitter tonnage ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you figure tonnage? pi r squared times presure?
3.5" cylinder @ 2500=24040 12 Ton
DON

Thats right but its easier to handle the math with diameter instead of radius...d square by pi divided with 4
dxdxpi/4
pi/4=0.785
so that makes circular area simplified
dxdx0.785
tonnage=Pressure x Area/2000

pump pressure

Well if pump relief is set on 2500psi or what ever less than 3400psi, 42725lbs is not going to happen. 42725lbs is still not 22 tons.
I say it again logsplitter biz is a "fraud" what the splitting force concerns.
:sword:

Most pumps for splitters don't have relief in the pump, only in the valve. Also most two stage hydraulic pumps at least by barnes are capable of producing at least 3600 psi or more and are only limited by the pressure relief setting in the valve. No need for a pressure relief in two places!

Most pumps for splitters don't have relief in the pump, only in the valve. Also most two stage hydraulic pumps at least by barnes are capable of producing at least 3600 psi or more and are only limited by the pressure relief setting in the valve. No need for a pressure relief in two places!

Dear kgreer!

Please read the whole thread before posting comments!

I have already posted this...

If it's an Haldex pump 2-stage, the maximum allowed pressure is 3000psi, factory default setting 2500psi. MTE pumps are 3000psi except 14 and 17gpm that are 3500psi and 22gpm that are 3200psi. So there is no way a Speeco 22 ton can be rated 22 ton with that 3400psi Energy valve and whatever 11gpm pump there is........
So this whole logsplitter market is so screwed up with FALSE marketing. And they can do it because most people dont understand the background to the numbers. SIMPLE MATH!!

This link show what Haldex-Barnes two stage pumps are capable off:

http://www.haldex.com/en/North-America/Applications-Products/Product-categories/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Gear-Pumps/Two-Stage-HighLow-Pumps/

The weakest link in the hydraulic system sets the limit for possible max system pressure. System pressure sets with a relief valve. Pumps can have internal relief valves, relief valve can be mounted on the pump outlet line or be built in to the directional valv. If there are more than one releif valve in the system, the one with lowest setting will determine the system pressure. If cylinder is rated for max 3000psi, only a stupid increase, if possible, the pressure to 3600psi. It is a matter of SAFETY for the operator, people and other property.
If an accident happens and a person need medical at ER, there might be an investigation on the splitter with possible jail time as a result, if manufacturers/recommended settings being changed.
I'm sure we can crank up any logsplitter to 5000psi....but then we wont have any warranty.....and who knows...it maybe blast on the next log with seriously injured operator or a nearby helper/watcher...I am arguing the manufacturers are marketing logsplitter with false SPLITTINGFORCE....and we are just now talking about a 11gpm H-B twostage pump in a Speeco logsplitter.
It is very rare components in logsplitters are rated higher than 3000psi or 207bar. There is a significant price jump on most components that have higher kpressure rating. And for sure there will not be any extravagant (3000+psi rating) hoses on a new splitter.

homework

Those are the pumps Haldex sells to the public. They can make pumps with much higher psi outputs. I would find out from the company what the pumps they use are capable of producing. Their is no evidence to show that the pump you have linked is the same pump the manufacturer is using on their splitter.

Those are the pumps Haldex sells to the public. They can make pumps with much higher psi outputs. I would find out from the company what the pumps they use are capable of producing. Their is no evidence to show that the pump you have linked is the same pump the manufacturer is using on their splitter.

They DON'T make any other two-stage pump's....or you show proof of that....END OF STORY!! Thank You!!:popcorn:

Last edited:
I'm not sure proving a Speeco 22T splitter doesn't provide 22T of force proves anything because nearly everything you buy today has at least some marketing hype in it. E.g. a 1/2T PU that can tow a 10K trailer. Seems just about every splitter sold with a 4" cylinder has a rating in that ball park. Once some one put a number on a product every one has to follow suite of face reduced sales. Seems every year the GVW on trucks goes up just a little. Not that they are getting all that much tougher but every mfg wants to claim they are better than the competition. I look at it as an arbitrary number assigned to a splitter with a 4" cylinder.

pumps

They DON'T make any other two-stage pump's....or you show proof of that....END OF STORY!! Thank You!!:popcorn:

Again, they don't make any other pumps that they sell for public use. Please read the entire thread before posting. You can't do math with guesswork. Find out from the company what the psi output actually is and then calculate the tonnage.

Latest posts

Back