Splitting cases without heat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Bondeson

chainsaw guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone a while back i got myself into quit a pinch i needed to get some wood cut asap then the bearings craped out on me lucky me had some spares but no heat gun so i took all the screws out and held the case sidways, took a small hammer and tapped ever so slightly but rapidly and it poped apart nothing broke! Repeated for the other side the with the old bearings gone i set the new ones in place, held the case in my left hand again to cushin the blow as best i could and very lightly and very rapidly i tapped around the edges of the bearing in a circular motion repeted on the other side and when it came time to put it back together i just let the screws do the work turning each one fractions of a turn one by one until it was tight all the way around,
Now the saw runs beutiful and nothing was broken!

Any thoughts on HOW THE **** THIS WORKED???????????

It worked because it's a valid technique. More than one way to skin a cat, not all as easy, efficient or risky as others.

I had always been told installing the bearings without heat is a shore fired way to crack something but if its valid way to do it maybe i wont even buy a heat gun lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Stihl method is just press fitting them. The easy way to do it is heat because most people don't own a press or the factory tools to do it at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done several bearing changes and have never used heat. I started doing them before reading here about the heat. I split them the same way you did with a rubber mallet and I just use an arbor press and press them together. As long as you take your time and watch what you are doing there is little chance of breaking things.

Back