Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, completed my GB overhaul of my splitting tools. They are almost too purdy to use, but I will.

Previous set served me well and I plan to keep them around.

i-7v2nxWM-L.jpg

i-6rkcRtm-L.jpg

i-6nqnBHW-L.jpg

i-RGfMkC6-L.jpg

What an awesome set!

The X27 still has a place. That thing is a work horse. Still may pick up a smaller Fiskars to play around with. I think they are a great value.

Trying to decide which axe is coming canoe camping this weekend. I usually chose the axe on the far left to save on weight but it's almost worthless for splitting due to lack of mass. Second from left was given to a friend who needed an axe. So I may go to #3 from left as it's still light but a little heavier than #1.

I'd ponder buying a Fiskars chopping axe but since you can't actually cut trees down where I'm headed the axe is only used for splitting scrounge.

image.jpg

The Estwing used to be the classic canoe camping axe. The unbreakable handle was a big feature, though, I have watched guys try to whittle a replacement handle for a conventional axe out of a tree limb on canoe trips.

Philbert

The lake I camp on used to have a logging dam that went out in the 80's and dropped the water level by a few feet. Since the lake is primarily cedar there's tons of stuff washed up at the old water level that is bone dry but still solid. Just need to buck and split.

I've really put the coals to that lightweight axe but it's almost unbreakable because the head has so little mass. It's actually an old double bit cut down and slimmed for the purpose of being a traveler style.

The Estwing used to be the classic canoe camping axe. The unbreakable handle was a big feature, though, I have watched guys try to whittle a replacement handle for a conventional axe out of a tree limb on canoe trips.

Philbert
Pretty fair prices on those Estwing axes for what you are getting.

Well, completed my GB overhaul of my splitting tools. They are almost too purdy to use, but I will.

i-7v2nxWM-L.jpg

i-6rkcRtm-L.jpg

i-6nqnBHW-L.jpg

i-RGfMkC6-L.jpg
I use the leveraxe 1 for splitting. (craigslist for 200 almost new). For camping, I love my GB small forest axe. i also have a small husqvarna hatchet for smaller stuff. Is that the small splitting axe next to your 410? How do you like it?

i-7v2nxWM-L.jpg

i-6rkcRtm-L.jpg

i-6nqnBHW-L.jpg

i-RGfMkC6-L.jpg

I love my Gransfors Bruks splitting maul. I was really skeptical when a friend of mine bought one; I thought it was a huge waste of money. Then I split 6 cords with his. Next thing you know I had to get one of my own. It's a joy to use every time I pick it up. I've probably split 60-80 cords with mine now, and its held up great. Wood handles are definitely my preference, and the metal collar makes it hold up really. If it weren't for that feature, no one else would ever get to try it. Hope yours is every bit as great as mine has proved to be.

Well @Philbert you jinxed me with talk of those unbreakable Estwings. ;)

Split up enough wood to last for my 5 day trip on the first day and decided to make a bench on the second day. Broke the head off the traveler axe about 1/4 way into the log. As you can see by the picture the main damage was done prior to my use but was not visible as it was cracked inside the head.

Fortunately I had more than enough wood for the trip.

This axe did work really well while it worked. Much better performance than my other lightweight axe.

Caught some fish but funky weather slowed them down compared to normal.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Back in my shed I happened to have a standard axe with a rather loose handle so I slipped the standard head off and fitted this head on. I'll pick up a longer 36" felling handle for that other head. Good as new :)
image.jpg

I use the leveraxe 1 for splitting. (craigslist for 200 almost new). For camping, I love my GB small forest axe. i also have a small husqvarna hatchet for smaller stuff. Is that the small splitting axe next to your 410? How do you like it?

Yes, it is a small splitting axe. I wanted the splitting hatchet but could not find one in stock anywhere. I dont have much time with it but so far, it seems like it should work fine one handed. Does do a better job than my Estwing fireside pal. Its mostly used to split 4" cookies for smoking/cooking.

Maul, Scandinavian Forest Axe, Small Splitting Axe, Wildlife Hatchet.

Well @Philbert you jinxed me with talk of those unbreakable Estwings.
Was not my intent to put a hex on you.

But if I enabled you to buy one more axe . . . . well, that's the whole point of this forum, right? I keep my eyes open for one at garage/estate sales, etc.

I just used my Fiskars chopping axe for a few days doing storm clean up work in the Brainerd area. I really like that axe for that type of work: limbing, driving bucking wedges, limited chopping, etc. For example, some guys I was working near had made multiple, 'other than textbook' face cuts and back cuts in a hung up tree, and I was able to clean some of those out with my axe, to see what was going on, without risking a bar and chain (or whole saw!).

Would be proud to own and use most of those axes you displayed as well. But sometimes, in some situations, you also need some things that will stand up to a little abuse.

Philbert

Was not my intent to put a hex on you.

But if I enabled you to buy one more axe . . . . well, that's the whole point of this forum, right? I keep my eyes open for one at garage/estate sales, etc.

I just used my Fiskars chopping axe for a few days doing storm clean up work in the Brainerd area. I really like that axe for that type of work: limbing, driving bucking wedges, limited chopping, etc. For example, some guys I was working near had made multiple, 'other than textbook' face cuts and back cuts in a hung up tree, and I was able to clean some of those out with my axe, to see what was going on, without risking a bar and chain (or whole saw!).

Would be proud to own and use most of those axes you displayed as well. But sometimes, in some situations, you also need some things that will stand up to a little abuse.

Philbert
Which Fiskars chopping axe model do you have?

Being half of the load bearing wood in that handle was long gone, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Which Fiskars chopping axe model do you have?

Fiskars models and names have changed through the years. The chopping axes I have did not have model numbers on them, nor did the my splitting axe (although, I am sure that they had model numbers when manufactured). Took some photos just for you - you can see quite a bit of difference.

I also made some use comparisons in this thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars-28-and-36-side-by-side-comaprison.170817/

Fiskars 3 Side.jpg
Chopping axe, X25 precursor, X27

Fiskars 3 Head.jpg
X27, X25 precursor, Chopping axe

Philbert

Back