Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 lb Wilton Bash maul showed up today.

I like to look and feel.

There is a nicely sharpened edge that was ever so slightly rounded off, I'm assuming as a safety precaution? Won't take much on the grinder to get this one like a razor.

Handle is shorter than I expected at around 28"
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

That edge looks a lot better than the ones I checked out the other day. Good deal!

Keep us updated.

I love my fiskars x27 enough that I bought the fiskars hatchet which I admittedly have little use for. I am in the market for 160 acres of bush and swamp land to build an off the grid cabin with just a woodstove, so I'll be buying another x27 and hatchet set again for there!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Put an edge on the Wilton today. Judging by feel, I'd say the steel is definitely of higher quality than the Fiskars.

View attachment 449566

Unt now for der stoopid hooman tricks.... goofball frostback loggers up in maine got me doing this years ago...you have to hold it one handed out at arms length by the end of the handle, let is slowly down to kiss your nose, and bring it back...hahahah Up to around ..hmm..I guess 4 years ago now was the last time I could do that with my 8lb maul. Dang wussed out.... bogus... good luck, I do not want to know if there are any failures to use the appropriate cheap stunt double... ;)

Judged by how the edge reacted with the wheel, can easily tell the hardness of the steel.

That's good to hear!!!!

Hopefully this will turn out to be a gem in the rough especially considering the price point now.

Can't wait to see how it does in wood.

Steve, I made another believer in the Fiskars today. I was splitting a bunch of ash and locust I got off some of my pops property and let one of my cutting buddies use my Fiskars. His response was, ehh to light. He then went to use his yellow handled maul and when he found a round he couldn't handle I split it with the fiskars. He couldn't believe it, I explained they you have to get use to how to split with them, gave him a few pointers and told him to try again. I couldn't get it out of his hands the rest of the afternoon. He's only 24 and is built like a tough farm boy, I just sat back and let him go to town on my pile. He told me he was going to find one on amazon tonight. Hahahahahahahaha

That's good to hear!!!!

Hopefully this will turn out to be a gem in the rough especially considering the price point now.

Can't wait to see how it does in wood.
First quarry will be some 30" willow. I know smaller willow isn't that tough but busting up the rounds should be a good test.

Steve, I have a Wilton sledge with a 6lb head and 24in long handle, it was nice cause it fit in my tool box at work. After 10 years of abuse that handle has never flinched. Ive loaned it to every body ive ever worked with and seen it beat countless ball joint out, rotors stuck on the hub, wheels stuck on hubs. Everything you could throw at it, it never hiccuped, you'll probably like your new toy, but I still drink the F brand cool aid. I think the only other splitter Ill ever want will have a hydraulic pump attached to it and a spiffy lever. Ive been trying to buy one for a while. Came close once, drove a hour to meet a guy and he never showed, PISSED ME RIGHT OFF! But I deg-res, good luck with your new tool, those handles really are UNBREAKABLE.

Matt, picked this one up on a whim as it was only 50 bucks and got free shipping. If you look a couple pages back in the Firewood forum check out my Husky S2800 thread, that just may unseat the Fiskars as my all around tool.

Back